Longfellow MS News: Oct. 19th-23rd
Family and Community Engagement Edition 2020-2021
- Unity Day / Stop Bullying (wear orange with uniform bottoms): October 21st
- Principal & Parent Zoom Meeting: October 22nd / Link to flyer: https://bit.ly/3dARGC4
- Red Ribbon Week: October 23rd - October 31st / Link to flyer: https://bit.ly/35fwttQ
**Special guest appearance by McGruff & other fun opportunities**
- Food Distribution: Saturday, October 24th / Link to view information: https://bit.ly/2T4h366
- Family Needs Assessments: Please submit by October 30th
Click on the following link to submit assessment: https://forms.gle/E34Jdnud1bTVFezaA
- Parent Teacher Conferences (continue): October 30th end date
- GT Nominations: October 30th deadline (see additional information below)
- Join SAISD this week for Family Power Hours (see details below)
- Yearbooks Are Here! (Visit the front office between 9AM - 3PM to pick up or purchase -$30)
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- PLEASE REMIND STUDENT'S TO CHARGE THEIR LEARNING DEVICES EVERY NIGHT!
SCHEDULE YOUR CONFERENCE TODAY!
- Canvas Information (Pg.2 for Spanish): https://bit.ly/3m10HHF
- Frontline Information (English): https://bit.ly/3me66eT
- Frontline Information (Spanish): https://bit.ly/3m7r9zH
- Longfellow's School-Parent-Student Compact: https://bit.ly/3o8DKUK
- Longfellow's Parent & Family Engagement Policy: https://bit.ly/34ai82l
Family Needs Assessments
Unfortunately, parenting doesn't come with instructions, but it's good to know you're not alone! SAISD's Family and Community Engagement Department is here to support YOU! Please take a moment and click on the link below. Your participation will help us build Longfellow's parent program. If you have questions, contact Longfellow's F.A.C.E. Specialist at (210) 438-6520 ext. 75012 or by email: email@example.com.
TOGETHER WE CAN BE SPARTAN STRONG! (Link): https://forms.gle/E34Jdnud1bTVFezaA
IS YOUR CHILD GIFTED AND TALENTED?
Click below to see information about the GT process (scroll down to view flyer in Spanish):
•The referral window to refer students begins Oct 5-30.
•The teacher, parent, or student (themselves) may refer.
•The person who is referring the student must know the student’s ID number to refer.
•Referrals will be done electronically this year.•The testing window begins Oct 26-Dec 18.
Fill out the required GT referral form here:
SAISD's Family Power Hour!
Visit www.saisd.net/parentworkshops for the Zoom link and passcode or call the Family and Community Engagement at (210) 554-2205 for more information.
This week's topic:
Oct. 20 What to ask the teacher during conferences? - 11 a.m.
Oct. 22 Assessments SAISD is using to track your progress - 2 p.m.
Oct. 21 Attendance: Count Me In! (in-person & remote learning) - 11 a.m.
Oct. 21 Mental Health: What is real and what is a myth - 2 p.m.
Oct. 22 Connecting to my child’s learning with the new SAISD Parent Portal - 11 a.m.
Oct. 22 A guide to what your student should be learning every grading period - 6 p.m.
The Office of Family and Community Engagement is hosting Family Power Hour, a series of free workshops focusing on social, emotional, and academic topics. Join a Zoom session and have a chance for a giveaway, all while learning new ways to support your children at home. We hope to see you soon!
INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE PROGRAM
This month's IB Approach to Learning (ATL) skill focuses on student self-management, with an emphasis on organization. Here are some tips to help your student become more organized!
Managing time and tasks effectively:
- Plan short- and long-term assignments; meet deadlines
- Create plans to prepare for summative assessments (examinations and performances)
- Keep and use a weekly planner for assignments
- Set goals that are challenging and realistic
- Plan strategies and take action to achieve personal and academic goals
- Bring necessary equipment and supplies to class
- Keep an organized and logical system of information files/notebooks
- Use appropriate strategies for organizing complex information
- Understand and use sensory learning preferences (learning styles)
- Select and use technology effectively and productively
Parents, if you have questions on how to help your child practice the IB way, please email Ms. Jacqueline D. Carter, IB Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.