By Brielle Dickson
What is Pasta?
History of pasta-where it comes from
Linguine are often served with seafood or pesto.
Farfalle are served with light delicate sauces and vegetables.
Penne is a popular ingredient in pasta salads.
What is the method for cooking pasta?
1. Grab a pot.
2. Put water & salt into the pot and onto the stove.
3. When water is boiled you can put the pasta in.
4. Cook pasta for 20 minutes or until done and also mix every 3-6 mins.
5. drain water out and plate up.
Explain what al dente means?
Give a basic dough recipe for pasta and some ingredients you could use to flavor pasta.
400 g plain flour
4 free range eggs
Method1. Turn the flour on to the bench.
2. Make a well in the middle and add the whisked eggs in to the well.
3. Slowly incorporate the flour, using your hands and bring the dough together.
4. Wrap in a clean tea towel and rest 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes, work the dough with your hands for about 5 to 10 minutes. Work it into a rectangular shape using a little extra flour.
6. Open the pasta machine to the biggest setting and put the dough through.
7. Fold the dough into 3 after each turn then turn the dough 90 degrees and repeat the process.
8. Roll the dough to about 2mm thick and hang over a broom stick to dry.
9. When the pasta sheets are dry, they can be cut into the desired noodles.
Something you don't know about Pasta
The Italian word pasta comes from the same Latin word, which means “dough.” It also has the same root as the word pastry and in fact, it was Italian pastry makers who first spread the art of edible pastry making to the rest of Europe, where previously it had been a protective casing for the contents to be discarded after cooking
Pasta was originally made by hand and it wasn’t until the 18th century that the first pasta making machine was designed by Cesare Spadacinni, at the request of Ferdinando II, The King of Naples. It was made of bronze and attempted to replicate the kneading movements of the human pasta makers.