Kenzie Lee 4th
- High school diploma or GED
- Graduated from a nursing program
- Completed supervised clinical work experience
- Nursing license
Helpful High School Courses
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Computer Applications
- Health Education
- Introduction to Health Care
- Safety and First Aid
Job Description Overview
Hospital nurses observe patients and carry out medical treatments. They use computerized equipment to monitor patients' vital signs. They record their observations and other medical data in patients' charts. Nurses also consult with medical staff about ways to prevent infection. Sometimes nurses write and manage patient care plans.
Skills and Abilities
You must be able to...
- Express ideas clearly when speaking or writing.
- Listen to others, understand, and ask questions.
- Read and understand written information.
- Notice when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong.
- Analyze ideas and use logic to determine their strengths and weaknesses.
- Stand for long periods of time.
- Use hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Walk between patients' rooms (run during emergencies).
- Speak clearly so others can understand you.
- See details of objects that are less than a few feet away.
- Medicine and Dentistry: Knowledge of injuries, illnesses, and defects (also includes setting up a treatment plan)
- Customer and Personal Service: Knowledge of providing special services to customers based on their needs.
- Psychology: Knowledge of people, their actions, and mental processes. This may include knowledge of how to treat emotional and behavioral problems.
- English Language: Knowledge of the meaning, spelling, and use of the English Language.
- Education and Training: Knowledge of teaching and the methods involved in learning and instructing.
You will need to...
- Maintain accurate reports and records.
- Monitor vital signs using computer equipment.
- Discuss cases with doctors and other medical staff.
- Prescribe or recommend medications and treatments.
- Prepare rooms, sterilize: instruments, equipment, and supplies. Hand items to surgeons.
- Give patients treatments and medications.
Common Work Activities
- Assisting and caring for others.
- Documenting and recording information/data.
- Getting information needed to do the job at hand.
- Monitoring events, materials, and surroundings.
- Evaluating information against standards.
- Updating and using job-related knowledge.
- Hourly Rate: $25.85- $38.65
- Yearly Rate: $53,770- $80,390
- Median Annual Earnings: $58,290
- Lowest Annual Earnings: $48,930
- Highest Annual Earnings: $69,10