Portugal from 1505-1517 to Spain 1517-1521
Time of Exploration:
Why Was the Voyage Undertaken?
Ferdinand Magellan was going to lead the first expedition around the Earth.
- The voyage started on September 8, 1519 and ended September 6, 1522, so almost 3 years.
- Magellan was killed during a battle with natives on an island in the Philippines.
- The voyage took 5 ships and 270 crew members.
Evidence of Persistence and/or Risk-Taking:
It was the first time anyone had ever sailed around the whole world and did not know what to expect.
Results of Exploration:
- It was discovered that the world was round instead of flat like they had thought
- Magellan died around the age of 40