CLX Buzz 10/17/19
The Claxton Elementary Family Newsletter
What's the Buzz?
- Coming Soon at Claxton...
- Fall Carnival -- Volunteering, Online Purchases, and More!
- Digital Citizenship Week
- Check Out the Fantastic Entries for the Carnival Flyer Contest!
- Latinx Heritage Month Read-In
- Calling All Caterers for Claxton Jubeelee
- Volunteering at Claxton
- CLX on Social Media
- Quick Links
Coming Soon at Claxton...
Thursday Flyers (Check your Claxton folders!) - (Carnival Flyer and Ingles' Haunted Trail)
Digital Citizenship Week - Oct 14-18
Latinx Heritage Month Read In - Fri, Oct 18
Make-Up School Pictures - Tues, Oct 22
Claxton PTO Fall Carnival - Fri, Oct 25, 5:30-8:00pm
NO SCHOOL - Mon, Oct 28
PTO Meeting - Tues, Nov 5, 6-7pm in the Media Center
ACS Craft Fair - Sat, Nov 9, 10am-5pm at Salvage Station
NO SCHOOL - Mon, Nov 11
Alice in Wonderland, Jr Performances - Fri, 11/15; Sat, 11/16; Sun, 11/17
NO SCHOOL - Wed, Nov 27 - Fri, Nov 29
Fall Carnival -- Volunteering, Online Purchases, and More!
The annual Claxton Fall Carnival and PTO fundraiser is a week away on Friday, Oct 25 from 5:30-8:00 pm. Come one, come all to an evening of community, food, and fun!!
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! This event requires MANY volunteers. Volunteering is a great way to give back and get to know the Claxton community. Volunteer for a time slot and still have time to enjoy the Carnival! Sign up HERE.
Do you know a middle school or high school student who attended Claxton and wants to fulfill community service hours or just wants to volunteer? They can also sign up to volunteer HERE.
FOOD DONATIONS: Have a favorite recipe? We need more chili for the cook-off and baked treats for the cake walk (all varieties of sweet treats--not just cakes). Please see the “chili” and “cake walk” tabs at the bottom of the volunteer sign-up spreadsheet HERE.
WRISTBANDS AND TICKETS: Avoid lines at the door! Purchase wristbands and tickets in advance HERE for pick up at the “Will Call” table. Online sales will close Thurs, 10/24 at 9:00pm. Credit cards and cash will also be accepted at the door.
Financial assistance is available; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 350-6503 before October 23 for more details. Wristbands and tickets from Mr. Ackerman can be picked up at the “Will Call” table in an envelope with the student’s name (just like pre-purchased tickets).
Extra tickets and “Pie-in-the-Face” Raffle tickets will be available for purchase at a booth inside the carnival.
Purchase a wristband for $5 (needed for children only): Wristband includes activities such as Bounce House, Obstacle Course, Music by DJ Jesse, Carnival Games, Prizes, Math Attack Jumbo Puzzles, Storytime Pumpkin Patch, and more!
Food (# of tickets required):
Pizza (2), Hot Dog (2), Chili Cook-Off Tasting Flight (3), Cotton Candy (2), Caramel Apple (2), Whit’s Custard Kid’s Scoop (2), Ultimate Ice Cream Single Scoop (3), Mini Soda (1), Seltzer (1)
Activities (# of tickets required):
Pie-in-the-Face Raffle (1), Face Painting (1), Haunted Arcade - 5th
Grade Washington DC Trip Fundraiser (3), Fear Factor - 4th Grade Raleigh Field Trip Fundraiser (2), Cake Walk (2 tickets for 3 rounds), Fortune Telling (2)
Please contact your Carnival Co-Chairs (listed below) with any questions. We’ll see you at the Carnival!
Kelly Yeiser: email@example.com
Susannah Watson: firstname.lastname@example.org
Digital Citizenship Week
This week is Digital Citizenship Week! Visit Claxton's Facebook page for a new tip and resource posted each day this week. You can also check out this great video to learn what digital citizenship is and why it matters.
“Since 2013, the amount of time young kids spend on mobile devices has tripled from 15 minutes a day in 2013 to 48 minutes a day in 2017.” (p.18)
Talk with your student about what they think it means to be a digital citizen and ask what they've been talking about in their classroom when it comes to media balance.
Common Sense Media. 2017. The Common Sense Media Use By Kids: Age Zero to Eight. https://www.commonsensemedia.org/…/0-8_executivesummary_rel… Web Accessed: 10 Oct 2018
Latinx Heritage Month Read-In on Oct 18
Claxton Jubeelee Team is Looking for Caterers!
Calling all caterers! The Claxton PTO is exploring having the Claxton Jubeelee (formerly known as the Claxton Auction) catered. Food has been donated by local restaurants for this event in the past. The event is scheduled for Saturday, February 29, 2020. We expect to have 200+ people in attendance. If you or someone you know might be interested in catering our event, please contact Amy Aiken at email@example.com and include the following information:
Name of catering business
Contact name, phone number, email
Suggestions for buffet-style food theme
Approximate price per person for the food
Please note, the Claxton PTO is a certified 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Please respond to this request by November 7, 2019, at 5:00pm.
Chaperoning and Other Volunteering at Claxton
1) Whether you're a new or returning Claxton volunteer, an online background check is needed each year to volunteer in any capacity with students at school or as a supervising chaperone on field trips. It takes about 5 minutes to start your background check but can sometimes take 2-3 weeks for checks to be approved. You cannot volunteer until your background check has been approved, so jump over to this link to get yours started. https://bib.com/SecureVolunteer/Asheville-City-Schools/
2) Also, all volunteers need to attend a brief (~30min) Level II volunteer training with Asheville City Schools before you can volunteer at Claxton. The training is a one-time requirement (not needed each year) and this year's schedule is set so you can go ahead and check the calendar. Please see below for the next training sessions or check this year's full calendar HERE. Trainings take place in the Boardroom at Asheville City Schools' Central Office at 85 Mountain Street unless otherwise noted. No registration is required to attend the training.
Wednesday, November 6, 2019, at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, December 11, 2019, at 12:00 PM
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or are interested in exploring volunteer opportunities at Claxton!