Communication for the week of September 8, 2015
http://www.readingrockets.org/content/pdfs/tips/RR_tips_first.pdf (for reading at home tips)
Comprehension Strategy - Plot... discuss with your child the problem and how it was solved as you read fiction stories with your child this week.
Phonics Strategy - short i and x sounds. Short i and short e are easily confused sounds. As you read this week with your child help them correctly make the short i sound. It sounds like the i at the beginning of itch. X as in fox, only makes that sound after a short vowel sound. We also will discuss how when we add a s after a ck it can make the x sound like in ticks. Have fun having discussions regarding these sounds as you read with your kiddo this week.
The students will have a weekly spelling test. The words will be sent home on Monday (or Tuesday of shorter weeks.) They can take the test on Wednesday if they ask me. They have to take the test on Thursday. If they master all the spelling words (do not have to master the "words to read", just know how to read those) on Thursday, they will not have to do the post test on Friday. If they still need practice on the words, a list will be sent home Thursday. Please help them practice and they will retake the test on Friday (or the next week).
This weeks words are: six, in, it, did, sit, fix, lip, mix, pin, wig.
Words to Read
The words this week are: take, she, up, what.
- Nightly math homework sheet, due the next day. (If it is not returned the next day, I have the students do it during recess or a free time.)
- Practice spelling words, due whenever they would like to take the test. If they do not master the test, please keep practicing nightly until the post test on Friday
- Practice the weekly Words to Read.
- Read or be read to at least 20 minutes a night working on our weekly comprehension and phonics strategies as reading.
During the week
- Fresh Reads - a reading sheet will be sent home weekly. This sheet will have a short story (or pictures of a story at the beginning the year). Please have your child read the story independently. With your help, please have them answer the comprehension question on the back of the sheet. Due on Fridays.
- Decodable story - at times, some student may be sent home a decodable story to read at home. If they bring one home, please read it with them. Please sign and date the front, sending the story back to school the next day.
Snack - Please send some this week. Thank you in advance.
Donations - PLEASE, PLEASE.. the below items are needed.
On my website I will be sharing pictures of activities we are doing in class, links to parent information, weekly learning goals for the students and upcoming activities. Go to www.bgh4.org, Laura Irwin Elementary, then staff. Please subscribe.