Rising Spirals Reiki August News
How Reiki Helps Us Be Aware of Our Shadow Self
Five Reasons Why We Need to Be Aware of Our Shadow, and How Reiki Helps
Five Reasons Why We Need to Be Aware of Our Shadow, and How Reiki Helps
by Kriss Erickson
We all have challenges in life but let’s face it: dealing with hidden or “shadow” issues is a challenge. It gets even more complicated when the aspects of life that we have been programmed or have chosen to push into shadow leave us lacking in finesse and depth as we navigate life’s energy streams.
Deepak Chopra says, “The shadow compounds all the dark impulses—hatred, aggression, sadism, selfishness, jealousy, resentment, sexual transgression—that are hidden out of sight. The name originated with Carl Jung, but its basic origin came from Freud’s insight that our psyches are dualistic, sharply divided between the conscious and unconscious.”
When I think of shad aspects, I align with Carl Jung’s idea of duality, meaning that our “shadow” can be anything from very strong, compressed emotions like hatred, resentment and fear to a rejection of basic elements of the self. Elements like grief and the freedom to express the depths of the most difficult things we have experienced can also be viewed as “shadow.”
One thing is true: the more we repress shadow the darker and more condensed it becomes, resulting in a more intense release when it cannot be denied any more.
Though there are many reasons that being aware of our shadow aspects is helpful, here are ten to think about:
1) The longer we hold back and refuse to look at our shadow, the darker it becomes. This can mean that even small issues can become big ones. Something as simple as a feeling of disappointment about being left out of a party can grow to resentment, and even hatred, if we refuse to name what is going on. If we have the courage to name it, preferably as early in the cycle as possible, we might face the choice of losing a few friends, but the energy will clear instead of festering.
2) Refusing to name what we feel does not make it go away. Parts of ourselves that are ignored continue to call out for attention. If you do not like Mexican food, for example, yet you have friends that you love, who always go out for Mexican food, if you do not speak your truth, you could eventually begin to resent or even hate your friends. This will have no direct connection to them, just to your own refusal to name the fact that you do not like Mexican food.
3) Deciding that “nice” people can’t feel as you do does not change how you feel. Sometimes this can begin as an embarrassment. I learned the hard way, for example, to ask very specific questions when going out with a group of women. I am not a “girly girl” and have been embarrassed in the past when I have gotten myself into situations where the plans have unexpectedly included beauty treatments. At first, I was too embarrassed to reveal that not only do I not like that type of attention, but also that I am allergic to many of the products used. The embarrassment grew to fear as I realized that I might not be able even to go to lunch with that particular group if I revealed my preferences. It could have continued to grow, except I did voice my concerns. And what that brought to light was more about me than about the group. I simply had to be honest about what I wanted and what I did not.
4) Ignoring the shadow aspects of life can leave you open to being blindsided. Being blindsided happens when you refuse to acknowledge the clues you are given. Just as with physical symptoms, if you are ignoring, say, a person who is asking too much of you, the requests will get bigger and more blatant, and the expectations of the other person will grow until you are exhausted. At that point you might finally say “no” which can bring out disappointment and even a sense of betrayal in the other person. I hope you can see that this cycle is a two-way street. You are not honest enough to say what you can and cannot do, and the other person is used to asking a lot from friends. You might both feel betrayed when you finally admit that you cannot continue to meet unreasonable demands.
5) Ignorance is a decision. When we choose to ignore or bury the shadow aspects of self, we are doing just that: making a decision. Insisting that we only see what we define as “positive” does not make it so. If someone is lying to you, for example, but you have decided that you must see that person as impeccable, that does not somehow magically mean that they are not lying. Once again, that decision has much more to do with your decision about how honest you are with yourself and others.
How Reiki Can Help You Work With Your Shadow Self
Daily Reiki practice goes a long way in helping you recognize and work with your shadow self. Life-force energy frequencies, by their very nature, encourage clarity and honesty. If you take the time to incorporate Reiki into your meditative time, the Reiki frequencies will lead you deep into your inner processes, to the core issues that you are dealing with. This, in turn, will help you to be honest with yourself, which will lead you to discover areas that are asking for attention.
Trust is a major issue here. As flesh and blood humans, we are vulnerable. No matter how spiritual or positive-thinking we become, we are still human. Reiki reminds us of the bigger processes of life, including the fact that if we face our deepest aspects, we will be rewarded with greater levels of depth, compassion, trust and understanding in our own lives.
This is why Sense Mikao Usui urged us to share energy with ourselves first each day. If we do this, we will not only clear our shadows before they become too murky, but see more clearly to show patience and understanding to others.
Carr, Allison. When Positive Thinking Doesn’t Help. http://tinybuddha.com/blog/positive-thinking-doesnt-help/?platform=hootsuite
Choprak, Deepak: America’s Shadow: The Real Secret of Donald J. Trump. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deepak-chopra/americas-shadow-the-real-_b_10319848.html
Mocker, Sue. The truth is Not Delicate #12: Ignorance. http://hopeallowed.com/the-truth-is-not-delicate-12-ignorance/
Rand, William. The Original Reiki Ideals. http://www.reiki.org/reikinews/rn960401.html
The Reiki Harmonic is one of the energetic gifts we have been given at Rising Spirals Reiki. It is a way of collectively placing the hands in a straight line or other pattern above a recipient to create a beautiful symphony of support
Elemental Dragon Reiki
Elemental Frequencies Dragon Reiki came through as the frequencies of the five elements: Fire, Water, Air, Earth and Metal, in 2012. I have developed this into a 2-day workshop to attune you to these and other high-frequency energies
Reiki I & II Weekend
Come on Saturday, August 27 and Sunday, August 28 and and learn how to share Reiki! Details below.
Elemental Dragon Reiki
Upcoming Classes, Events & Workshops
Reiki Share Sessions:
Rising Spirals Reiki offers Reiki shares on the first Wednesday and the third Saturday of each month. **The Wednesday Reiki Meetups for July and August have been cancelled. The Saturday Meetups will be held as usual.**
Wednesday, August 3, 7 - 9 PM
Saturday, August 20, 6 - 8 PM
Suggested donation: $5 - 20
Reiki Master Class: Saturday & Sunday, October 8 - 9, 9 am - 4 PM each day
Cost: $350 per student. 2 student minimum needed to hold this class
Reiki Master level continues your walk on the Reiki path by teaching Advanced Reiki Techniques such as:
Crystal Reiki Grid
And Reiki Master techniques such as:
Reiki Master Symbols
How to give a Reiki I, II and Master attunement
How to teach Reiki
If you have been a Reiki II Practitioner for at least 6 months and would like to continue your walk on the Reiki path, come to the Reiki Master class on June 25 - 26 at Rising Spirals Reiki in Everett, WA. Reiki Master certificate and attunement included
Elemental Frequencies Dragon Reiki Workshop: Saturday & Sunday, September 10 & 11:
Cost: $100 per student
The elements of water, fire, metal, earth and air (wood) are the building blocks of our world. Beginning in 2012, the universal frequencies of these elements began coming down to humanity in specific and poignant ways.
I have created a system to support and help us understand the benefits of working with the five Elemental Frequencies for health and balance.
Each of the Frequencies is supported by a dragon, to guide and help us work etherically. The main spirit guide in the Elemental Frequencies Workshop is Q'uan Yin, goddess of Compassion.
The dragons govern the 6th through 10th spirals of our 12 spirals of existence on this world. The unicorn frequencies of Cartazonos, Karkadaan, Fadrel, Zeltan and the falemier govern the 11th and 12th spirals as well as the Earthstar Chakra spiral.
This fascinating and energetically rich workshop attunes you to each of the 5 elements, to the combined elements called "Reiki of the White Hand" and to the 11th, Earthstar and 12th spirals goverend by the unicorns.
An 80+ page manual and certificate are included
Reiki I & II Weekend: Saturday & Sunday, August 27 & 28:
Reiki I introduces you to the history and aesthetics of Reiki energy. You learn the basic hand positions, the Reiki Power Symbol, what the energy feels like and how to share Reiki.
Cost: $20 materials fee
Reiki II builds on the information of Reiki I, adding the Mental/Emotional and Distance Symbols, how to draw them, ways to use them, what the three symbols feel like and how and when to share them.
All classes, workshops and events include snacks or for daylong events, a healthy lunch.
Annual Halloween/Samhain Party: Sunday, October 30, 4 PM - ?
Come in costume or not, to our annual Halloween party. Enjoy Halloween or harvest-themed dishes, and get a free Rune reading from Kriss.
Rising Spirals Reiki, Everett, WA
60-minute Integrated Reiki/Crystal/Acutonics sessions: $60
60-minute Spirit Walks: $60
90-minute Past-Life or Spirit Walk Sessions: $100
Senior Discount: 65 + receive 1-hour sessions for $60, 90-minute sessions for $100
People We Like
1905 1/2 Hewitt Avenue Everett, Washington 98201
Lynn has many types of herbs, incense and other energetic tools
Whispering Dragon Center
Jude and Paul Ponton
124 N 103rd St, Seattle, Washington 98133
Jude and Paul offer sound healing sessions with tuning forks, gongs, crystals and other helpful tools, as well as chiropractic and acupuncture. They also teach all levels of Acutonics® tuning forks system.
Daylight Healing Center/Open Hands Reiki
7907 212th Street SW, Suite 101, Edmonds, WA 98026
Maureen is an Tsui/Tibetan, Karuna and Elemental Frequencies Reiki Master who shares and teaches Reiki.