Northern Middle Newsletter
Weekly Update 9/25/22
As we enter the last week of September, I would like to thank our students, staff, and families for their work in our successful start to the school year. Everyone has pulled together as we have worked to establish routines in the classrooms within the school building.
1st marking period interim reports will be available in HAC on October 5th. Please have your student check HAC and Schoology for any missing assignments that can still be submitted.
CCPS Calendar Reminder
- Thursday, 9/29 – Two Hour Early Dismissal for Students
- Friday, 9/30 – Schools Closed for Students
Have a great week!
Mr. Webster, NMS Principal
Important & Required Info Needed from Families - CCPS Annual Student Update Form
If you have already completed the Annual Student Update for your children, thank you! If you still need to complete it, please follow the attached directions below. The same message was sent to parents/guardians by CCPS on September 6, 2022. The direct link to access HAC to complete the update is https://ccpses4hac.calvertnet.k12.md.us.
This year, you will need to log in to your Home Access Center (HAC) account to complete the Annual Student Update form electronically for each child who lives with you was requested by Friday, September 16, 2022. This process replaces the emergency form and several other permission forms and acknowledgements that are required each school year. Only one guardian for each child may complete this process, which is critical to school operations. Once each child’s form is done, it will be marked complete in eSchoolPlus, our student information system.
2022 MISA Student Reports (for current 6th graders)
We have received individual student score reports from last year’s state MISA assessments which were taken in 5th and 8th grades. On Monday, Science teachers will be giving 6th grade students a paper with their MCAP (Maryland Comprehensive Assessment Program) Science Assessment report 2021-2022. These reports give parents an opportunity to see how their child performed on the annual state assessment. If you have any questions, please let us know.
Robotics & MESA Club Information
NMS Wellness Club Opportunities
FREE/REDUCED PRICE MEAL BENEFIT APPLICATION
Students received a Free/Reduced-Price Meal Benefit Application at the beginning of the school year. The form is also available on the CCPS website at Departments – Child Nutrition or at https://www.calvertnet.k12.md.us/departments/child-nutrition. Households are strongly encouraged to complete the Free/Reduced-Price Meal Benefit Application to see if their student(s) qualify for free meals. Anyone wishing to submit an application may do so by:
- Accessing and completing online at www.myschoolapps.com
- Hard copy dropped off or mailed to Northern Middle School (2954 Chaneyville Road, Owings, MD 20736) or mailed directly to the CCPS Child Nutrition Office, 1305 Dares Beach Rd., Prince Frederick, MD 20678
- Scan or take a picture of the completed application. Email the scan/picture to Mrs. Pellock at email@example.com.
Middle School Athletics - Fall
Fall Sports Clinics will begin this week for soccer (coed) and volleyball. Attached is a calendar of clinic dates. Please look for which grades participate each day. In order to participate in the clinics, students will need to submit a completed physical, Athlete Clinic Form (with the clinic fee), and a School Insurance Waiver Form. These documents can be turned in at the main office.
- Required Athletics Forms - Copies are also available in the main office and cafeteria. https://www.calvertnet.k12.md.us/departments/athletics/middle-school-athletics.
If you have any questions, please contact our Athletic Director, Ms. Emond, at 443-550-9230 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.`
Northern Middle School PTO
The electronic link for membership is https://pto-membership-83842.cheddarup.com
You can also access the NMS PTO Facebook group page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/nmsbobcatspto/
The PTO is organizing several committees to help with events throughout the year. If you are interested in helping, please sign-up at https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/10c0e4aa8ac2dabfac70-ptocommittees
Resource Flyers and Opportunities for Students and Families
CCPS Seeks Candidates to Train as Bus Drivers
Update from CCPS Transportation - "Move Over" Law in Maryland
Resources from CCPS Student Services
We have also developed a Parents’ SEL toolkit which gives suggestions on how to develop each of the SEL competencies in their child(ren). Parents can find this tool kit on the Student Services website at https://www.calvertnet.k12.md.us/departments/student-services/services. Click on the tab for SEL.
Recurring Resources for Families
Become a Volunteer
Calvert County Public Schools uses Raptor for visitors and volunteers to sign in and sign out. Volunteers must apply annually to be an approved volunteer. All volunteers will need to review the volunteer handbook and watch the volunteer training video before completing and Online Volunteer Application. Volunteers must be approved before they may begin service as a volunteer in any school buildings.
CCPS Online Volunteer Application & Process: https://www.calvertnet.k12.md.us/departments/human-resources/become-a-volunteer
Family, Student, & Staff Responsibility – Daily Health Screening
It is the responsibility of all families, students, and staff members to self-assess before entering a school bus or CCPS facility by answering the following questions:
- Has the individual or anyone in the family been sick with dry cough, shortness of breath, chills, fever, muscle or body aches, sore throat, or loss of sense of taste or smell in the last 5 days?
- Has the individual or anyone in the family been exposed to COVID-19 and asked to quarantine? If yes, who was directed to quarantine and what date did the quarantine start? (Ensure quarantine time is up and symptoms have improved.)
- Has the individual or anyone in the family tested positive for COVID-19? If yes, who and when? Were they having any symptoms? (Ensure quarantine is up and symptoms have improved.)
- Student and staff should not attend school if they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or have been medically advised to quarantine. If this is the case, please contact our School Nurse, Carin Fleshman, at 443-550-9227 or email@example.com.
Here Comes the Bus - A School Bus Tracking App for Parents
Here Comes the Bus (HCTB) is an app with tracking features for the bus(es) your child(ren) is assigned to ride. They include
- Showing the real-time location of your child's bus on a map
- Scheduled and actual arrival times at home and school for bus routes
- Push and email notifications when the bus is near
Click this link for more information on getting the app - https://www.calvertnet.k12.md.us/departments/transportation/bus-status/here-comes-the-bus
To create an account, you will need to know your child's ID number and the school district activation code 87557.
If students have questions about their device (laptop/computer), they can get help from a member of the CCPS IT team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 443-550-8146. Students needing assistance can also drop off their laptop in the main office and fill out a paper Help Desk ticket.
Supports are also available on the CCPS website using the Technology Support button (pictured below) on the main page. This resource provides links to submit help desk tickets, frequently asked questions, and other resources students can use to solve issues.