Nibelgunlied : A folk epic
By: Chandler Roffey, Brielle Oakley, and Alexis Davis
Characteristics of our Epic
2. In medias res (in the middle) already in the beginning of the poem it starts off with each character and what they stand for (their morals)
3. epithets and Homeric epithets: epithet I saw describes Brunhild the epithet describes her as “powerful- warrior queen”
- As we all know now, The Nibelungenlied is a Middle High German epic.
- Middle High German is a term referred to as a time period in history of German literature from 1050 to 1350.
Elements of our epic
Hero's Quest- This hero’s quest is to marry the beautiful princess named Kriemhild and become a great king.
Epic Conflict- 1. he leads the Burgundian forces into battle.
2.he battles against a fierce dragon and wins.
3.his weak spot which leads to his death in the end.
Divine Intervention- Siegfried kills the dragon and bathes in its blood. Then the dragons blood made Siegfried’s body invincible
- The Nibelungenlied is a Middle High German epic poem meaning “Song of the Nibeluungs”.
- It is the most well-known German epic today.
Siegfried and Krimhild
This is the princess that Siegfried wanted to marry.
This is Siegfried battling the dragon that gave him invincibility.
Troops went to war
These are the Burgundian troops that Siegfried led to war and they won.