SHS Spartan News
Week of August 17, 2020
Chromebook Drive Thru Pickup Schedule
- 10:00 AM -2:00 PM Tuesday, August 25th Grade 12
- 10:00 AM -2:00 PM Wednesday, August 26th Grade 9
- 10:00 AM -2:00 PM Thursday, August 27th Grade 11
- 4:00-7:00 PM Thursday, August 27th (evening option) all grades
Scituate School Dept. Reopening Plans
Scituate High School Full In Person Option
- 100% of students are back in person
- Students will not be in stable pods in the high school
- Students will follow their typical bell schedule
- Our average class size is 16 however a class will never exceed 25 students
- All students and staff must wear masks per the Governor's orders. The school will provide medical face coverings for students however students are encouraged to bring their own if they feel more comfortable. Spartan masks will be available for purchase through the Athletic Department
- Families/staff must complete a COVID-19 self screening form
- Families still have the option to distant learn if they so choose
- Exterior doors will open at 7:35 AM
- Students will follow one way hallways and will be directed to their first period classes
- Desks will be spaced six feet apart when possible per RIDOH/CDC guidelines
- Lunches will be broken down into four waves with 50 students at a time. The high school and middle school cafeterias will be utilized as well as outdoor spaces. Only cold lunches will be sold at this time
- Student passing time and dismissal will be staggered to reduce the number in hallways
- No lockers will be utilized per RIDOH/CDC guidelines
- Custodial staff will follow CDC guidelines on sanitizing bathrooms, common areas, cafeterias and doorways on an hourly basis. Every surface, classroom, and area will be cleaned and sanitized each night
- Student desks will be wiped and sanitized by students at the conclusion of each class period (much like a fitness center) Students may also clean their desk upon arrival to the next period if they so choose
Scituate High School 50% In Person Option
- Students would be divided into two groups by last name alphabetically (PK-12)
- All students would distant learn from home on Mondays
- Group A would report Tuesday and Wednesday while Group B would report on Thursday and Friday
- All classroom teachers will utilize a live camera in the classroom. Students who are distant learning are expected to login to google classroom and virtually participate in the lesson in real time
50% In Person Option High School ONLY
- Students would be divided into two groups by last name alphabetically
- Group A would report to school five days per week following their typical bell schedule
- Group B would report to school five days per week following their typical bell schedule
- While one group spends five days distant learning, classroom teachers will utilize a live camera in the classroom. Students who are distant learning are expected to login to google classroom and virtually participate in the lesson in real time
Scituate High School Full Distant Learning
- All students would learn from home on a district issued chromebook
- Students would be expected to follow their six period rotating bell schedule each day
- Students would login in live for the first five minutes of every class for attendance and Q and A
- Teachers would develop a weekly "playlist" so that students will know when they will be required to stay on a virtual meeting for the delivery of instruction, group work, assessments, ect
- It will be very important that students follow their schedule and "tune in" every hour
- The District Re-Opening Task force has created protocols for students, parents and teachers that will be shared next week
Distant Learning Option
- Be expected to follow their school bell schedule and will participate virtually (in real time) while teachers are teaching other students in person.
- New student orientation (Families that are new to the town of Scituate- grades 9-12) will now be held on September 3rd at 5:30 PM in the High School Auditorium
- Freshmen Meet the Admin Zoom September 3rd at 4:00 PM (Link to be emailed)
2020-2021 Free and Reduced Lunch
Or... visit our District Website
National Honor Society News
National Honor Society News
2020 looked at everyone’s plans and said “Nope.”
All current members of NHS and juniors who are interested in joining (you’ll get invited to apply in Jan/Feb if your cumulative GPA is a 3.6 or above) should know that Mrs. Stormont, the Faculty Council, and Mr. Hassell will be having thoughtful discussions about making adjustments to NHS requirements. We understand that your service plans probably got cancelled. We’ll post new guidelines as soon as we can. In the meantime, don’t worry, and keep being wonderful people!
Thank you to Mr. Brown for his years of service on the NHS Faculty Selection Council. Mr. Brown is leaving the council, and Mrs. Dailey is joining the council.
Thanks also to our members continuing to serve: Ms. Feldman, Mr. Bagley, Mrs. Roberge, and Mr. Peppard.
2020-2021 Student Schedule
SHS school counselors spent some time last week meeting with students (virtually) with schedule conflicts and proposed options for potential solutions. We ask that you continue to be patient and proactive as we finish this process. We try our best to accommodate each student's scheduling need, however, scheduling conflicts can create some compromises within student schedules. Please contact your teenager's school counselor with any concerns. Students will have the first two weeks of school to make any schedule changes.
Final student schedules will be available on Powerschool two weeks before the start of school.
As in the past, student schedules will be available to view and print on PowerSchool. Students and families that may have lost their username and password or are new to Scituate High School should contact the school at 647-4120. We ask that parents and students remain patient with any schedule errors as our guidance staff is working hard to “clean up” any loose ends. https://scituateschoolsri.powerschool.com
From our School Nurse
The RI Department of Health requires that all students entering the 12th grade provide documentation of the following:
- 1 booster dose of meningitis vaccine - received on or after their 16th birthday.
- Physical health examination completed after the students 16th birthday.
Senior Yearbook Photos June 26th special extended!
Attention Class of 2024
RI Kids Link
Kids’ Link RI is a behavioral health triage service and referral network. A program offered in collaboration with Gateway Healthcare, Lifespan, Hasbro Children’s Hospital and Bradley Hospital, Kids’ Link RI is available 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week to help triage children and youth in need of mental health services and refer them to treatment providers.
Call 1-855-543-5465 if your child is:
*feeling excessive anger or sadness
*Lashing out at siblings, friends and adults
*Having behavior problems at school
*Hurting himself/herself or others
*Having severe worries
*Free, confidential phone line connects parents and caregivers to an experienced clinician
Career and Technical Education Update
Career and Technical Education: Scituate High School is proud of the work that has taken place to develop and implement four career and technical education academies (pathways). Students are still able to apply for these amazing courses and are continuing to accomplish career and industry standards to prepare them for the next level of education.
Please help spread the word to surrounding towns. Students in grades 9 or 10 can still apply to come to Scituate through October of this year and we can provide busing to surrounding towns and communities!
Students from out-of-district in grades 9 or 10 can still apply to come to Scituate through October of this year. Please spread the word to surrounding communities!
Contact Ms Donovan (STEAM/CTE Coordinator) with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org
Scituate High/ Middle School
94 Trimtown Rd
North Scituate, RI 02857
Meet our New Football Coach!
Free Physical Exams
Visit our Athletic Website
The Scituate School Department has released an updated non-discrimination policy. Please note that our Scituate High School 2018-2019 student and parent handbook was printed before the new statement was released. Therefore, the non-discrimination policy in this year's handbook is out of date. The current policy with updates is as follows:
The Scituate School Department does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, religion, national origin, color, creed, political affiliation or disability in any of its educational programs and activities, and in employment and application for employment, as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1965, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, and other federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Equal Employment Officer, P.O. Box 188, North Scituate, Rhode Island 02857, Telephone: (401) 647-4100; Email: EEO@ScituateSchoolsRI.net. You may also direct inquiries directly to: Office for Civil Rights (Boston Office), U.S. Department of Education, 8th Floor, 5 Post Office Square, Boston, MA 02109-3921, Telephone: (617) 289-0111; Facsimile: (617) 289-0150; Email: OCR.Boston@ed.gov. If you require an accommodation to attend a meeting or program at a school, call the Equal Employment Officer at least two business days in advance of the meeting or program.