IN THE MIDDLE
May 2, 2016
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
Monday - Friday, May 2-6
- Teacher / Staff Appreciation Week
Tuesday, May 3
- Celebrity Server Night to Benefit MCSF (Manchester Community Schools Foundation)
- PTSA Meeting, 5:30 pm @ Media Center
Friday, May 6
- Manchester Market Day, 6th Grade
- Lions' Club Vision Screening
Thursday, May 12
- 7th Grade MSTEP
Friday, May 13
- Spirit Day: Crazy Hair Day
- PTSA Fun Night (4th/5th Grade @ 5:00 pm and 6th/7th Grade @ 7:00 pm)
Monday-Thursday, May 16-19
- 7th Grade MSTEP
Monday, May 16
- BOE Meeting @ Ackerson, 6:00 pm
Saturday, May 21
- 8th Grade Moving Up Ceremony, 5:30 pm
Monday, May 23
- 8th Grade Field Trip to EMU and SWWC (Southwest Washtenaw Consortium)
Tuesday, May 24
- MS Spring Band Concert @ MHS, 7:00 pm
Friday, May 27
- Spirit Day: Wear Your Michigan Sports' Fan Gear (any Michigan team pro or college)
Monday, May 30
- NO SCHOOL -- MEMORIAL DAY
A MINUTE WITH MRS. MAYES
The Manchester Community Schools Foundation's annual Celebrity Server Night is Tuesday, May 3rd. Stop by Frank's and Dairy Queen from 4 to 8 p.m. to be waited on by your favorite teachers and administrators past and present. All tips directly support programs in our schools. See you there!
Manchester Middle School students are invited to attend a free yoga class on May 12 or May 17th, right after school! Yoga is a great physical activity that increases strength, flexibility and balance while reducing stress. Find out more about the benefits of yoga for kids and teenagers and the permission slip here. Permission slips are also available in the front office and are due by May 5th.
The Manchester Lions' Club will be conducting free vision screenings for all of our students on Friday, May 6. See the flyer below for more details or click here.
- Text alerts are available through Remind. TEXT @mms5678 to 81010
- Weekly classroom assignment charts are listed below, or you can also find them under the middle school's "Parents & Students" tab.
Meet Mr. Fielder, 6th Grade Teacher
This is my 28th year of teaching middle school aged students. I graduated from Eastern Michigan University in 1988 with a B.A. in Elementary Education. I have taught a variety of subjects over the years, but for the last eleven years primarily sixth-grade math. My course load this year consists of three sections of math, one nine week exploratory of sixth-grade study skills and one exploratory of Current Events. In addition, I coach junior varsity football and seventh-grade basketball.
I am a life long resident of Manchester and a graduate of Manchester High School. My wife’s name is Barbara and we have two children Sarah, 23 and Jacob, 21. Sarah graduated from Manchester in 2011 and Central Michigan University in 2015. Jacob graduated from MHS in 2013 and is in his third year at Michigan State. My family has very deep roots in Manchester as both of my parents graduated from Manchester as well. We are proud to call Manchester our home.
My teaching philosophy has evolved over the last two plus decades, but one thing has remained constant, a passion for teaching. Provided with the proper environment all students are very capable learners. A major goal that I strive to achieve is to encourage all my students to reach their greatest potential.
MIDDLE SCHOOL CLUBS / ATHLETICS
- Builders Club meets this month on May 10 and May 24.
- Middle School Track: May 2 @ Manchester, 4:30 pm
- Middle School Track: May 4 @ East Jackson, 4:30 pm
- Middle School Track: May 13 @ Onsted, 4:00 pm
Manchester Middle School
Educational Excellence in a Caring Community
Manchester students are provided the stepping stones for success.
District Mission Statement
Manchester Community Schools, in partnership with parents and community, use best practices to develop the skills of communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity in all students to ensure they are future ready.
To provide a secure, challenging learning environment which will empower all students to achieve their greatest potential. The MMS team joins the parents and community to assist students in developing skills necessary to become successful, responsible, contributing citizens.