The Best of Beignets
Learn how to make and fry a beignet anyday!
Try our DIY at home recipe!
Will make approximately 32 beignets
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar, granulated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Vegetable shortening, for deep frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small saucepan combine the water, butter, granulated sugar, and salt.
- Once the mixture has reached a rapid boil, remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the flour all at once, stirring vigorously.
- Cook the paste over low heat while beating briskly, continuing until the ingredients are thoroughly combined, and the dough cleaning comes off the side of the pot to form a ball.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Add all of the four eggs one at a time, beating in between each one.
- By hand or with an electric mixer set at medium speed beat the paste until it is smooth and glossy.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- In the deep fryer, heat 3 inches of shortening to 370 degrees F.
- Drop square shaped teaspoonfuls of dough into the shortening.
- Fry the beignets in batches, turning them over until each side is a golden brown. This will take about three minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the fried beignets.
- Place them on a paper towel to drain.
Sprinkle the beignets with confectioners’ sugar and serve hot with coffee!
Try baking to our favorite song!