cierra b. hernandez
how to protect yourself from identity theft
How to prevent identity theft
how do they get your info. ?
•They "dumpster dive" or rummage through your garbage
• pretend to work for legitimate companies, medical offices, clinics, pharmacies, or Gov. Agencies to conceal your info
•trick you by email (phishing) or phone (pretexting)
what should you do when it happens ?
• Contact the credit reporting company
• Place a fraud alert on credit file
• Monitor your accounts for unusual stuff
• Exercise legal rights to a free copy of your Credit Report
how can you tell if your identity is being stolen ?
• Unexplained withdrawals
• you don't get your bills or other mail
• merchants refuse your checks
• find unexplained charges or accounts to your credit card
things to consider for identity theft
• place initial fraud alert
• Freeze credit cards
• get credit reports
• create identity theft report