Monday Morning Message
Glen Burnie High School Social Studies Department, June 6
The Last Week of Instruction!
Well, we are all getting into review mode this week, if you haven't started already. Keep in mind all the great review ideas that were discussed at our last department meeting (included below).
Please remember to remain visible, vocal, and vigilant in the hallways. Many students seem to think that summer break has already started, so let's all do the best we can to keep them focused and on track!
Stay on top of any failing students, especially freshman. Utilize the E-free form I sent out previously.
It's the Final Countdown-WE CAN DO THIS!
Kahoot (Shout out to Brandi and Shelby for updating)
H.S.A. Review Parters
Pop Star/Politician- newly updated for Gov
4 x 4
Stand on paper; answer Q's in the circle
Collaborative Group Review
Project Based Learning
White Board Remix
Ms. Jones' Game Show
Large Matching Game (around the room)
June 7: Faculty Meeting
June 10 – 17: 4 MP and S2 Exam data will be drawn from teacher’s gradebook at 7:30 & 2:30.
June-13-16: Final Exams Week
June 10 – 17: When you are finished w/ entering grades wait until 8 am or 3 pm to print your Grades Verification report from SMS. (Note: If an incorrect average appears check your Grades Setup for Sem 2. It should be set for Term Weighting (40-40-20)
June 17: Completion of underclassmen retention and service learning.
June 17: Last day to enter grades by end of day.
June 17: Last Day for Teachers
June 21: Report cards are printed at Central Office
Gopher Flex Schedule
Things to Know
1. Stay on top of communication with failing or in danger of failing students! Be sure to notify students and parents!
2. Please have Final Exams for 9th-11th graders turned in ASAP.
3. If you are interested in receiving stipend money for Summer Planning please speak to Ms. Berner or Mr. Nilsson.
Ideas to increase the “student engagement” and WICOR focus within your classroom:
- 4 Corners b. Philosophical Chairs c. Socratic Seminars d. Minute Speeches e. Jigsaw reading with expert groups f. Collaborative study session
Thinking ahead about review activities for finals?
- Write down topics on index cards, give groups of 4-5 students one index card each, set a timer for two minutes and ask students to share all they know about the topic. Other group members can then add extra information not shared if time is still left.
- Write down a different question for each poster paper. Give each group a different color marker. Set the timer and have groups rotate to each question recording one or two facts.
- Create a group challenge where groups get points for answering the question correctly, Try using a SMARTboard activity like Jeopardy, or quizlet, Padlet or old fashion paper and pencil. Give a reward to the group who has the most points at the end of the activity.
- Have students write a question about a topic they need to review. In groups of 4-5, have students work collaboratively on the questions, filling out an exit ticket on what they learned after the activity.
*Have students go back into their resources and highlight any information they need to study based on their review performance.
Closing out the year:
- Please return WICOR posters to the front office next week (I will pick them up from the counter) if you will be moving on from GBHS –good luck and best wishes
- Please do not throw away your WICOR posters or your AVID trained signs if you are returning in the fall
- As you modify your syllabi include and interesting fact (personal or not) about the college(s) you attended
AVID sections next year:
AVID 9- Cici Patel
AVID 10- Ryan McCamon
AVID 11/12- Jen Ballard