Mrs. Lyons' Newsletter
Week of August 31, 2015
Mark Your Calendar:
Every Friday: Don't forget your tennis shoes for P.E.September 7: Labor Day & No School
September 17: Grandparent's Day for last names A-L
September 18: Grandparent's Day for last names M-Z
- Scholastic Book Orders were sent home today and will be due back by this Friday, September 4th. If you would like to order books online at Scholastic.com, our class code is GKDMT. You may also send your order form with a check made payable to Scholastic if you prefer.
- Spelling: We will begin working on new words this week. Students were given a copy to practice at home to prepare for our test on Friday.
- Reading: This week we are learning how to read and respond to a wide variety of books from different genres (fiction and non-fiction). Students are strongly encouraged to read at home every night, even if it is 10 minutes here and there.
- Writing: This week we will continue using our writer's notebooks and gathering ideas for stories.
- Math: We will continue learning about place value up to the millions place. At home, students should be practicing their multiplication facts, especially the 5x tables. We will practice the 5 times tables all week and assess these facts this Friday. Check out www.multiplication.com/games for fun multiplication games. See the button below for a link to the website.
- Science: There are several fun science labs in our future where we will use the scientific method!
- Student Planners: Check your child's planner for daily updates on what we are learning. If the assignment is to be done as homework, we will indicate this with HW.