Carver Middle School Newsletter
February 7, 2021
Happy Super Bowl Sunday Carver MS Community!
Hopefully everyone is having a great weekend. As a reminder, our students will take the school climate survey in class this week. This document is important. It allow our students to provide open feedback and helps us to develop the best learning environment possible for our school community. If you do not want you student to participate in this survey, please email Dr. McLaurin or Ms. Miller at : Anthony_McLaurin@ccpsnet.net or Jill_MIller@ccpsnet.net.
As you may be aware, our School Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday at 6:30 pm. This will be a very important meeting as our Budget and return to school options will be discussed. Please use the following link to view the meeting: http://chesterfieldschoolsva.swagit.com/live/.
Our counseling team is working hard on scheduling for all of our Cougars. Please be on the look out for important updates for your student.
Thank you to everyone one who completed the return to learning survey. We are approaching 700 surveys completed. Our goal is 1007! If you have not completed the survey please use the link below to do so. We need input from all of our families to on this very important survey.
Thank you for your continued support and have a great week!
Anthony J. McLaurin, Sr., Ed.D.
G.W. Carver Middle School
Return to Learning Updates
Please see the key updates below.
- Beginning February 1, 2021, all students expected to have their cameras on during class meetings. If you would like to request that your student be allowed to keep his/her camera off during instruction please email your request to an administrator by Friday, February 12, 2021.
CCPS Online will be opening registration for the 2021-22 school year on February 1 and will take registrations until July 9, 2021. Additional information and the link to register can be found on the CCPS Online website. Students may register for a full course load if they would like to remain virtual for the 2021-22 school year or they may take supplemental classes while taking a full course load at their home school (fees are required for this option).
CCPS Online also has courses available for the summer of 2021 and all of these courses require a fee. Registration for summer courses begins on March 1. Registration for summer Health/PE 9 will close on May 19. Registration for all other classes this summer will close on June 23. EDMS counselors are happy to answer all questions related to CCPS Online options.
Flex Block Update
Fridays (Office Hours)- Teacher will communicate with students to set up meets for assignments, check-ins, re-teaching and/or make up work. If your student does not have meetings scheduled, they may utilize this time to work on assignments independently.
Carver MS- Picture Day 2/24/2021
CMS 2020-2021 Yearbook Flyer
Yearbook Updates from Mrs. Boyd!
Follow us on our New Official Pages for upcoming news and highlights!
IG - @gwcarver.middle
Twitter - @gwcarvermiddle
This year has been exceptionally different for each and every one of us. Let’s end this year strong and make an extra effort to build our community and promote KINDNESS! Please take photos or send a written blurb to Michelle Boyd of our Carver students showing KINDNESS for an opportunity to be featured in our 20/21 Cougar Yearbook. Please be sure to include your student’s name and grade!
If you are posting on your own social media please tags us and use the following hashtags:
IG - @gwcarver.middle
Twitter - @gwcarvermiddle
Middle School Sports
As we enter the second semester, the Middle School Athletic Council will continue to review data and make recommendations that align with current procedures and protocols that must be followed in regards to athletics. The Athletic Council will provide updates pending the February 9th School Board meeting, so that we can better discern a possible return date for middle school students, and potentially, middle school athletics.
Hidden Figures! Carver MS School-Wide Read!
We appreciate your support in literacy-based learning, and thank you for your time!
- Feb. 1- First day of the second semester
- February 9-School Climate Survey
Feb. 15- No School-Student & Staff Holiday
Feb. 16- PTA Meeting
Dr. Jones' Scheduling Updates for Future TDHS Knights
Course Offerings & Selections...
This is the time of year when students and their families, along with their teachers and counselors, begin making decisions about their courses for next year. On January 19, StudentVue will open and students will be allowed to make their selections regarding their classes for next school year.
Prior to selecting their courses, we want our students and families well-informed. For your reference, here is the timeline:
- Registration Knight (12/9)
- Information Sessions with Students regarding course selections (January or February)
- High School counselors will conduct virtual scheduling meetings with the middle schools and students will select their courses for the 2021-2022 school year...
- Carver Middle School...February 12th
I am extremely excited to release our Course Offering Sheet for 2021-2022!!! You will notice 5 tabs at the top. One for each grade level and a Career Cluster and Pathways tab. Please dig in and explore what we offer and align your child's future to their present!
Students may apply at: https://coderva.org/
See the Carver Clinic Newsletter for updates from Nurse Geisz
Curbside Library Pickup
Pledge of Allegiance Google Meet Link!
Please be sure to share the new Google Meet link below with your Cougar to join us for the Pledge of Allegiance live link daily at 7:35 am!
Second Semester Schedule
Beginning February 1, 2021
Period Start Time Period End Time
Flex Block 7:35 a.m. -8:10 a.m.
Period 1 8:14 a.m.- 9:31 a.m.
Period 2 9:35 a.m.- 10:52 a.m.
Lunch 10:56 a.m.- 11:26 a.m.
Period 3 10:56 a.m.- 12:43 p.m.
Period 4 12:47 p.m. -2:05 p.m.
PERIOD START TIME END TIME
Office Hours (Students Report to FLEX Block) 7:35 a.m.-8:35 a.m.
1 8:39 a.m.-9:49 a.m.
2 9:53 a.m.-11:03 a.m.
Lunch 11:07 a.m.-11:37 a.m.
3 11:07 a.m.-12:47 p.m.
4 12:51 p.m.- 2:05 p.m.
Join the Carver MS Anime Club!
Share the Love with the Carver Staff!
Carver Attendance Line
Carver MS School Counseling Assignments 2020-2021
Welcome to Mrs. Cathy Whitaker our new School Counseling Coordinator! Please see below for your Counselor's contact information. Sixth grade students are assigned counselors based on last name. Please complete the Carver Schedule Request Form if your child's schedule needs to be adjusted and the appropriate counselor will contact you ASAP.
Mrs. Redding A - Kfirstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Whitaker L - Zemail@example.com
Mr. Cunningham- firstname.lastname@example.org
Support and Self- Care During COVID-19
COVID-19 Support from the Viriginia Department of health: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/chesterfield/.
Please take a look at the COVID-19 Resources link. As we are all dealing with difficult times children and adults both may benefit from ideas and resources to help us to cope positively with our present reality.
Message from our School Nurse Mrs. Geisz
Here are a few reminders from the school clinic, even though we are starting school virtual all of the following are still required for this school year:
1. Proof of immunization: For a complete list of all required immunizations please see the Virginia Department of health link https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/ There are 2 Middle School specific requirements. Note :Effective July 1, 2019, a booster dose of Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the 7th grade. Also note: Effective October 1, 2008, a complete series of 3 doses of HPV vaccine is required. The first dose shall be administered before the child enters the 6th grade, however with HPV, after reviewing educational materials approved by the Board of Health, the parent or guardian, at the parent’s or guardian’s sole discretion, may elect for the child not to receive the HPV vaccine.
2. Immunization records can be faxed to 804.520.0189 to the School Nurse.
3. Update Individual Health service plan: If your child lives with any of the following:
- Life-threatening allergies
- Or any other health concern that requires medication or specific health related procedures while in school please make sure that we have an updated health service plan and/or medication administrations forms. Required forms can be found here https://mychesterfieldschools.com/family-and-community-engagement/preparing-for-school/student-health-and-safety/
4. Please keep in mind due to COVID 19 the use of nebulizers will not be allowed this school year, so please make sure to discuss plans for treatment with your physician if your child has asthma.
I am looking forward to supporting your child to be safe, healthy and ready to learn at Carver Middle School! If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email me at email@example.com or call me at 804.524.3620 ext.143.
Use the PTA website at: https://carverpta.ptboard.com/ to sign up.
1. Log in or create an account.
2. On the "Join School" pop up screen enter code: 9XKCHR.
3. Sign up to assist with events, purchase spirit wear, raise funds and assist the PTA in supporting our students!