What is a health department?
A health department is a basic function of county government. A county health department develops, implements and administers programs and services that are aimed at maintaining a healthy community.
- Monitor health status.
- Diagnose health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform people about health issues.
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts.
- Enforce laws that protect health and ensure safety.
- Link people to needed personal health services.
- Immunizations for adults and children.
Healthcare professionals employed by the agency
- Social workers
Sources of finances
- Medicare- 5%
- Medicaid- 10%
- Fees- 11%
- Other- 7%
- Not specified- 2%
- Federal Direct- 2%
- Local 25%
- State Direct- 20%
- Federal Pass- Through- 17%