Ruby Bridges - where the STARS come to shine!
Hello from the principal's desk!
October 30, 2018
Volume 12 issue 7
Hello RBE community!
This is the digital version of the hard copy Star that you received in your child's backpack yesterday. I hope you got saw the calendar on the other side. That is supposed to go up on your refrigerator!
We just had our Dance-a-thon! We are so excited over here, we just can't contain ourselves! We had a really fun day, with costumes since our Dance-a-thon fell on Halloween. Look below for some pictures. I even got my head shaved, since I said I would do it if we hit $15,000. Well, we hit 15K and went well past it, up to $20,000! I offered to have me and Mr. Lundholm get slimed if we crossed 20K. Bring on the slime.
We also had some special visitors come out and see us today - AUSD Superintendent Sean McPhetridge, AUSD Board members Gary Lym and Anne McKereghan, and the City of Alameda Mayor Trish Spencer and City councilwoman Marilyn Ashcraft! It was a packed house! Thanks to all the t-shirt sponsors, the PTA leaders, families that gave money and time, teachers, and especially our students for an amazing day. It was sooooo fun!!!
A couple of other announcements -
- We learned at our After School program parent advisory meeting last week that we are are close on our attendance goals for the year. If we don't add some more kids into our after care program (Camp EdMo), we risk losing even more funding. As this is an important program to many families who get reduced rate or even free after care from it, we need to make sure we don't lose it. If you are interested in signing your child up for Camp EdMo, please talk to Ms. Helena at email@example.com or Mr. Woodward at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Second, the Tinker Bus is visiting the Alameda Free Library branches. Please see the announcement below.
- Special thanks to Ms. Jones-Szabo, our Media Center and Librarian, for running the first of two Book Fairs last week! She does this, along with a number of other volunteers from the school, on top of her normal full time position here. She stays late and gets here early to make sure that the Book Fair is open for business. Please say thank you if you see her!
- Friday, Nov 2nd is another spirit day! This Friday please wear your cultural clothes to display your amazing and unique cultural roots. We look forward to seeing many beautiful outfits.
- The next PTA meeting is coming up on Nov 7th at 6pm. We only have 5 a year, this one is number 2. We will have child care available, please come and listen to all the wonderful things going on this year with our PTA!
That is all for now. Have a great week everyone,
Upcoming events at Ruby Bridges
11/2 - Spirit Day - Cultural Dress
11/7 - Student Council elections
11/7 - PTA meeting, 6pm
11/8 - 5th grade Science Camp information night, 6pm.
11/12 - NO SCHOOL - Veteran's Day
11/14 - Ruby Bridges Day
11/14 - ELAC 8:30
11/19-11/23 - NO SCHOOL, Fall Break
11/26 - 11/30 - Early release for Fall parent conferences - TK: 11:40, Kinder - 5th: 12:30
Tinker Bus at Alameda Free Library
Do you know a child who likes to tinker, play, and solve problems?
Climb aboard this Maker Space on Wheels! If you made it to Alameda's Mini Maker Faire this past July, you may have been lucky enough to experience the Tinker Bus first-hand! If you didn't, now's your chance!
Children in 1st-4th grades may sign up by calling or stopping by their local branch. Registration is required and space is limited. Register for one date only. There is room for children on the bus, no parents.
The Bus will be pulling into each branch:
Main Sat. Nov. 3 from 10:13-11:30ish call 510-747-7705
West End Sat. Dec. 1 from 10:30-11:30ish call 510-747-7767
Bay Farm Sat. Jan. 5 from 10:30-11:30ish call 510-747-7787
Trait of the month - PATIENCE
"Things we want most are those which we will wait for." Jesse Woodward :)
"He that can have patience can have what he will." Benjamin Franklin.
Please consider donating to a teacher in need!
Lunch this week
Wed., Oct 31
Pasta with Meat Sauce
Pasta with Marinara (V)
Favorite - Chicken Nuggets
Thur., Nov 1
Grilled Cheese Sandwich (V)
Favorite - Turkey Hot Dog
Fri., Nov 2
Chicken Corn Dog
Bean and Cheese Burrito (V)
Favorite - Burger
Mon., Nov 5
Veggie Nuggets w/Roll (V)
Favorite - Cheese Pizza
Tue, Nov 6
Breakfast for Lunch!
Pancakes, Egg and Sausage
Pancakes, Egg Patty and Veggie Sausage (V)
Favorite - Cheeseburger Sliders
*A yogurt meal is available daily!
We may be starting up the Art Docent program again here at Ruby Bridges. The Art Docent program goes into classrooms all across AUSD and leads art activities for kids. The Art Docent volunteer does all the planning and art instruction, while the teacher helps out by managing the classroom. We might have a champion ready to take the lead, we just need a few more volunteers. Are you interested and available to help? Please email Mr. Woodward!