Class 15 News November 30th, 2014
Class and School Events
- December 4th - Dine for Dickson at King Daddy's Chicken and Waffles from 10am to 10pm! 444 Haywood Road in West Asheville. Portion of the profits will be donated directly to IDES.
- December 5th - 13th - BOOK FAIR! We will go as a class Friday, December 5th at 10:15.
- December 8th - Progress Reports go home. Please sign envelope and keep the report.
December 8th - Center for Diversity - Festivals of Light Program (AND the Good Fortune Program on 2/20/14)
- December 12th - Hour of the Code in the computer lab
- December 16th - Holiday Winter Program at Asheville High from 6 - 7:30
- December 17th (9:30 - 11:30) - Field trip to Diana Wortham Theatre to see the Nutcracker. Thank you for sending in your field trip permission forms, money and generous donations!
Don’t forget to order the super cool Dickson t-shirts and hooded sweatshirts.
Orders are being taken now. Proceeds to support the 5th grade trip to DC.
Festivals of Light and Good Fortune programs!
Upcoming Units of Study
Math- We are wrapping up a fun unit in geometry this week and will be embarking on Unit 5 Landmarks and Large Numbers. Place value to 10,000, adding and subtracting large numbers will be the focus. Keep your eye out for the math newsletter that goes with this Investigations Unit and continuing practice multiplication combinations with your child. Our Tuesday flexible math groups on place value will be coming to an end and will hopefully be of huge benefit for this next unit of study.
Social Studies- We are going to move into a focus of early North Carolina history using a digital time-line tool to make this more relevant to the students.
Science - We will be wrapping up all of our study of animals and adaptations with a project that involves the students determining what adaptation they would chose in order to live in either a desert or tundra. They will do some short research at school about animals that live in these habitats and then create a short Google presentation about the adaptation they picked and why they picked it using information from their research.
Spelling- With so much going on, I've decided to have students study the words they may have missed on their last spelling assessment for this week instead of a new set of words. To mix it up a bit, I'm going to have them select or design a new way to practice these words and then we will vote on a favorite one to use for future spelling homework.