S.H.E. Family Newsletter
December 16, 2022
Important Dates to Remember
- December 23: Early Release Day for Winter Break 1:15
- December 26-January 2: Winter Break-No School
- January 3: First Day Back from Winter Break-Full Day
- January 16: MLK Day-No School
- February 20: Presidents' Day
- February 21: Snow flex Day
Things to Know & Reminders
- The holiday shop will be open on Monday morning for last minute shoppers. It will close after that:)
- Free Meals for all students ends December 23rd. Please see the email from Superintendent Brenton that went out to families on 12/6/22. A copy of the email is below. This is a shift for most students. Please have a conversation with your child about purchasing breakfast and lunch only if allowed by you.
- A friendly reminder that birthday invitations can only be handed out to children within your child's classroom, and if you have an initiation for all students. Additionally, if you would like to celebrate your child's birthday, please connect with your child's teacher for guidance. For many reasons (allergies, nutrition, health plans, post pandemic) we do not allow celebratory food (cookies, cupcakes, etc.). If agreed upon with the teacher, we encourage pencils, small crafts, playdough, etc. to use in place. We realize this is a shift, even from when we went to school, and your continued support is appreciated.
- Please consult the PTO Facebook page for pictures of student lost and found items. Each item has a number. You can comment if the item belongs to your child and it will be delivered back to them the next day. All unclaimed items will be donated in December to make room for newly discovered lost items. Items include sweatshirts, long sleeved shirts, coats, water bottles, etc.
- SHE has an Instagram. Find us @shepardhillelementary for current happenings.
- Lunch with Loved Ones is up and running. If you would like to have lunch with your child, please see the attached flyer.
- SHE is STILL LOOKING TO FILL SEVERAL IMPORTANT PARAPROFESSIONAL POSITIONS!!!! Please apply at this link. https://www.applitrack.com/plainfieldschools/onlineapp/JobPostings/view.asp?AppliTrackJobId=355&FromAdmin=True&AppliTrackJobId=355&AppliTrackLayoutMode=detail&AppliTrackViewPosting=1
- A friendly reminder as the weather becomes cooler. Shepard Hill, is indeed on the top of a very tall hill. We are surrounded by open sports fields. This makes outdoor recess and break time very windy and cool. Plan for it to be at least 5-10 degrees cooler here than at home. A light jacket or sweatshirt to be kept in your child's backpack is appreciated.
- When visiting the school, please have your ID ready to display. I hope it provides you comfort knowing that we are super safe and will not release your child with someone that we do not recognize.
- When dropping off off late, or picking students up early, please use the parking lot driveway. The bus throughway is a fire lane. We also have several classrooms who walk, draw, or use the sidewalks.
From the Office of Superintendent Brenton
Dear Plainfield Parents,
As a reminder, In October we sent a notice home alerting families that the state funding that allowed our district to provide meals at no charge will run out at the end of December. Therefore, free meals for all students will end on Friday December 23rd, 2022. When we return from the holiday break, school meals will return to their normal prices. Breakfast for students will be $1.90 at all locations. Lunch will cost $2.80 at the elementary schools and between $2.80 and $3.65 at the secondary schools depending on meal selections.
Free and Reduced-Price Meals Applications
We encourage families to review the FRL eligibility criteria and to complete and submit the FRL priced meal application if you have not done so already.
There are many reasons why qualifying families should complete the FRL application, even if they are not interested in school meals. Qualifying families are eligible for other benefits such as college application fee waivers and free AP testing.
Who Qualifies for free meals?
Each year the Federal Government sets new guidelines for qualifications which can be found on our website: PPS Parent_Letter_FAQ_Free_Reduced_Meals_NSLP_.pdf
Please reach out to Jana Livernoche at Plainfield Schools with any questions. (860) 564-6459
Thank you for all you do for our students
Mr. Paul M. Brenton