We Are Together Tamanend!
June 14, 2019
Have a Great Summer, Tamanend!
Summer is a time to relax, reflect, and rejuvenate. Best wishes to all of our Tamanend families for a wonderful summer. This is our last edition of Tamanend Connections for the school year. We will send a "Welcome Back" newsletter on Friday, August 2 with important details about next year. Our first regular newsletter for the 2019-2020 school year will be sent out on Friday, August 30. We look forward to seeing everyone in September, ready for a year filled with learning and growth!
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Upcoming Events at a Glance
Report Cards Posted on Parent Portal--Tuesday, June 18
Welcome Back Informational Newsletter for 2019-2020--to be released Friday, August 2
Student Schedules Released on Parent Portal--Friday, August 23
Schedule Pick Up/7th Grade Open House--Monday, August 26*
*tentative date based on progress of HVAC renovation project; we will provide updates regarding this event throughout the summer
First Regular Newsletter for 2019-2020--to be released Friday, August 30
First Day of School for Students--Tuesday, September 3
Tamanend Will Be Even Cooler Next Year!
Reminder--Summer Reading/One School, One Book
Starting this summer, we will be engaging the Tamanend community in a One School, One Book program. A committee of teachers, librarians, and administrators worked for a year to choose a book that would appeal to our entire school community. We are pleased to announce that we will be reading Posted by John David Anderson. We encourage all of next year’s Tamanend students to read this book over the summer. The book is widely available online and through Central Bucks book fairs. If you are aware of a student who might have difficulty purchasing this book due to a financial hardship, please email Kristi Holloway at email@example.com so that we may obtain a copy for the student. Click here to watch a short video of the author of Posted speaking about this book. We are planning a variety of activities throughout the 19-20 school year to engage all members of the Tamanend community in discussions related to this book.
Reminder--Summer Reading Information for Current 9th Graders Who Will be Attending CB South Next Year
This summer CB South will be implementing a new program that provides students with more CHOICES for reading. We hope to generate lots of enthusiasm for reading during the summer months!
Our goal is to have students reading on a regular basis because they choose to do so. We encourage students to choose books that interest them. When students are interested and engaged in a book, reading becomes a meaningful part of their lives.
We encourage you to be involved in conversations with your child about the book they choose. When family plays an active role in their child’s reading life, students can witness firsthand the role reading can play in their lives.
At CB South we will be instituting a school-wide Big Read in which students will be able to choose a summer reading title from an extensive list developed by our entire CB South faculty community. Each faculty member has chosen a book that they are excited to share and discuss with students. These books range from graphic novels, to YA fiction, to classical works, to non-fiction texts. Your child should spend some time looking through the list at the start of the summer, choose a book and read it, and be prepared in the fall to return for a special school-wide Big Read activity. Students will be meeting with the faculty member who corresponds with their chosen book for a lively exchange of ideas and reactions to the reading experience. For more information and the list of books, please visit the Central Bucks High School South’s website, so that you can be engaged in the selection process and perhaps even read a book alongside your student.
Thank you for being an important part of our reading community!
June's Featured Teacher--Mr. Nugent
Mr. Nugent has been a Music teacher for four years and has taught 1st through 12th grades. His favorite part of teaching is helping his students reach their goals. Outside of school Mr. Nugent’s hobbies include hiking, camping, and reading. Mr. Nugent’s favorite vacation spots are Maine and Utah. He plays an assortment of instruments which include the bass, violin, viola, cello and guitar (bass). If Mr. Nugent could learn a new instrument he would learn the French horn. He loves the Vietnamese food Pho and doesn’t have a favorite color as he enjoys all colors. Mr. Nugent believes a world without color is bland and boring. His favorite genres of music are classical and hip hop and his favorite concert he has attended is Ben Folds with the Philadelphia Orchestra. Mr. Nugent loves the Spanish Harlem Orchestra and his favorite musician is Leonard Bernstein.
Thank you for reading my “Featured Teacher” articles this school year, and a special thanks to Shannon Adams for being my amazing photographer!
--Submitted by Paige S., 8th Grade
HELPUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Reminder--Student Emergency & Information Form on Parent Portal to Open August 5
Each year, the Central Bucks School District requires our families to fill out a Student Emergency & Information Form. This year the Parent Portal will open on August 5th to the complete the form, which takes approximately 10 minutes to complete.
The online form will ask you to confirm and/or update the following:
- Demographic Information
- Emergency Contacts
- Health Information, including permission for emergency care and analgesic administration
- Media Release Preferences
Before summer break, please check to make sure that you have your username and password. If you do not have a Parent Portal account, please follow this link to request one. If you need help with your Parent Portal account, please contact your child’s school for assistance. Beginning August 5th, you may click here to be directed to your Parent Portal account to complete the Student Emergency & Information Form.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to update this important information!
Reminder--Laptop Information for Current 7th and 8th Graders
All students will be responsible for their laptops for the duration of the 3-year lease. All current 7th & 8th grade students will take their laptops home for the summer. Before the school year ends, please encourage your children to make sure their charger, laptop, and pen are working. All repairs are covered under our user agreement. Students should place a ticket to repair equipment before summer break.
Below is a list of Q & A’s to help explain the process:
- What should my child take home on the last day of school?
- All students need to take home their laptop, bag, charger, and pen. We do not have an option for students that want to leave the device at school.
- What if my child is not returning to CBSD in 2019-20?
- Any student who is not returning to Central Bucks next year will need to turn his or her laptop in on the last day of school.
- What if the laptop breaks over the summer?
- Students can drop the laptop off at Tamanend's Main Office Mondays through Thursdays, 9am-3pm for service.
- Will my child receive a loaner device if it breaks over the summer?
- No loaners will be given out over the summer. Students will receive an email when the device is repaired. Pick-up will be in the Main Office.
- Do I have to do anything with the laptop over the summer?
- Yes, laptops need to be turned on at least once during both July and August to receive necessary updates. This is very important so that the laptop will work on the first day of school. It is suggested to turn on the laptops on July 15th and August 15th if it is not being used regularly.
- Please refer to our laptop agreement for guidelines. A reminder that leaving laptops in heat and near sand or water could damage the device beyond repair.
- What does my child need for the first day of school?
- Each student should be prepared for the first day of school with a fully-charged laptop, charger, pen and bag.
- Is there a usage fee for the 2019-20 school year?
- Families will be asked to pay a usage fee for the device of $50 per student per year. This fee will cover breaks, repairs and other services. This year, the payment process will begin on August 5th using My Payments Plus. More information will be sent out in July. Financial assistance with this fee is available for any family facing a financial need. Please contact Dr. Brian Caughie at firstname.lastname@example.org after August 5th if you need assistance with this fee.
- How do I learn more about the 1:1 Initiative?
Athletic Department News
Congratulations to all Tamanend student-athletes and teams for their successes and accomplishments during the 2018-2019 school year!!
In order for students to participate in Fall sports (tryouts and/or practice), Family ID and PIAA physicals MUST be completed. Students who do not take care of all items are not permitted to play.
- Registration on Family ID will open on July 1st for all of next school year’s 7th and 8th Grade students who are interested in playing a Fall sport for Tamanend.
- PIAA physicals for the 2019-2020 school year must be dated after June 1, 2019 and submitted to Mr. Klein. Only sections 5 and 6 need to be completed and submitted. (All items in Sections 1-4 are addressed in Family ID.)
FROM CB SOUTH:
Family ID is currently open for CB South Fall sports registration.
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Joe Ramos' Break the Silence Community Picnic--July 27
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Food and Meals During the Summer Months
Here is a list of some local organizations that provide food and meals during the summer months:
BCHG Doylestown Community Food Pantry
470 Old Dublin Pike
Doylestown, PA 18901
Tel: Maddie Burgess 215-345-4311 Ext. 101
Hours: 5:30pm - 8:00pm Wed (Line closes at 7:45 pm), 10:30am –1:30pm Thu (Line closes at 1:15 pm)
10:30am to 1:00pm Sun (Line closes at 12:45 pm)
Church of the Holy Nativity
749 Durham Road
Wrightstown, PA 18940
Tel: Nancy Stroh 215-598-3405
A place where a person in a food emergency can go for immediate help. No fee. Call for appointment.
Coordinating Council of Health and Welfare, Inc.
Emergency Food Cupboard
73 Downey Drive
Warminster, PA 18974
Hours: 9:30am - 11:30am Mon/Wed/Fri
Doylestown Area FISH
Doylestown, PA 18901
24-Hour phone - by appointment only.
Fresh Connect Bucks County
through the Bucks County Opportunity Council
Every Friday in Bristol, PA -12:00 PM
Lower Bucks Campus of Bucks County
1304 Veteran’s Hwy., Bristol, PA 19007
Every Thursday in Ottsville, PA- 11:00 AM
Intersection of Rte 611 & 412
Ottsville, PA 18942
Living Hope Community Church
106 South Main Street – 2nd Floor
Dublin, PA 18917
Hours: Noon – 2:00pm Fri or call for appointment
Angel Food Host Site, call for more info.
New Britain Baptist Church-Food Larder
Route 202 and Tamanend Avenue, P.O. Box 5147
New Britain, PA 18901-0933
Hours: 9am -12pm and 1pm – 4pm Mon and Wed
YWCA of Bucks County
Aspen Grove Family Center Food Pantry – Apt L4-4
120 East Street Road
Warminster, PA 18974
Hours: 10am – 1pm Tue and Thu, 10am – 1pm Fridays by appointment only 10 AM – 1PM
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900