Strathmore Elementary School
Mrs. K Bera, Principal
- October 3 & 4 School Closed-Rosh Hashanah
- October 5-7 Week of Respect
- October 10 School Closed-Columbus Day
- October 12 School Closed -Yom Kippur
- October 17-21 School Anti-Violence Week
- October 19 Fire Prevention
- October 20 POSP Open House
- October 21 PTO Boo Bash
- October 31 Costume Parade
Week Of Respect
October 5, 2016
October 6, 2016
October 7, 2016
Fire Prevention Week
This year the students will participate in unique fire prevention training. The Bureau of Fire Prevention, Fire District No. 1, Aberdeen Township has a mobile "Fire Safety House" which will be used to teach your children how to react in case of fire.
October 31, 2016
Annual Costume Parade
Fire Prevention Week
School Violence Awareness Week October 17-21
Monday, October 17
Wear a favorite hat (No sharing of hats)!
"Hats off to good decisions"
Tuesday, October 18
Wear a sweatshirt!
"Good choices are no sweat!"
Wednesday, October 19
Wear a team jersey!
"Team up against drugs and violence!"
Thursday, October 20
"Don't let bad choices sneak up on you!"
Friday, October 21
Wear your Strathmore shirt!
"Good choices are easier when we work together!"
Arrival & Dismissal Procedures 2016-2017
· Cars are not permitted to use the Church Street entrance.
· Students who are walkers may enter through the Front Door, Door 6 or Door 9 but not earlier than 9:10 am (including Safety Patrol).
· Cars may only enter school grounds using the Ingress entrance and should proceed through the loop slowly (teachers will be on duty to assist students). Cars should only exit back through Ingress. Students may only exit on the right hand side of the car. A teacher will assist students who need help but drivers must remain in their car. Students should walk along the blue line.
· Students are not permitted to walk through the parking lot unattended.
· There is no parking in the fire zone.All students who ride the bus will be dropped off at the Main Door of the building
· Cars are not permitted in the bus loop.
· Students will not be dismissed to waiting cars in the parking lot (please do not beep horns).
· Parents picking up students at Door 2, 6 or 7 may only enter off Ingress and go to the rear lot or along the curb next to the “A” wing. Lot will be closed after 3:20 pm. After buses arrive, parents may go through to Church Street and exit.
· Parents/guardians must park cars and wait at the assigned dismissal doors.
· Siblings may only be dismissed at the same younger sibling’s door.
· Kindergarten students will exit through
Door #’s 3, 4 and 5
· Grade 1 students will exit through Door #2
· Grade 2 students will exit through Door #6
· Grade 3 students will exit through Door #7
New Safety Procedures
Costume Parade 10/31/16
I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to our annual Costume Parade. Weather permitting, the parade will be held outdoors on Monday, October 31, 2016. Students will begin the parade at approximately 2:15 PM and will end at 3:00 PM.
The parade will begin at the front doorway. The classes will follow a circular route around the school. As the students parade, we will play appropriate music for the occasion. For the safety and accountability of all students, children may not be signed out by their parents for an early dismissal on this day. Attendance will be taken in all homerooms following the parade.
After the parade, students will enjoy a quick treat and then continue instruction. Teachers will arrange with class parents/volunteers for 2 families to provide the treats for the class. We appreciate your generosity, but no additional food/candy will be accepted. Items will be returned.
Students will change into their costumes in their classrooms shortly before the parade. For the safety of all children, please be sure that your child wears a costume that allows for him/her to see and walk easily. Masks are discouraged because children have difficulty seeing through them as they walk. Costumes must easily go over students’ regular school clothes. Students will not be allowed to use the lavatories for dressing purposes. To prevent injuries, students may not bring “stick-like props” to school including swords, pitchforks, canes, baseball bats, etc.
Feel free to bring your camera to our parade. Unfortunately, there is no additional or special parking. Please observe our parking rules and regulations. We suggest car pooling.
A reminder! Immediately following the parade is when all students will enjoy their special snacks in their classrooms. Afternoon instruction will then continue.
We look forward to seeing you at our parade on October 31, 2016.
One of my goals is for Strathmore students to love coming to school each day. And part of making memorable school experiences means students celebrating special occasions with their classmates. We definitely want all students to stay safe and have fun so please find below a few guidelines for celebrations. Please contact your child's teacher with any specific questions.
Some guidelines for celebrations and party invitations in the classroom:
- Class celebrations are for students only. Sorry parents!
- We encourage parents to send healthy snacks if possible.
- Parents should inform the teacher and school nurse, Mrs. Langer, if a student has any allergies. Mrs. Langer will share student allergy info to teachers who will develop specific class rules for types of snacks which are allowed. The teachers will share these snack rules out to other parents from that homeroom. Different classes may have different rules about snacks, depending on certain students' allergies.
- Party invitations should be given to all students in a class or either all boys or all girls in the class.