The Lloyd Link
2nd Graders Shine Bright
Getting To Know Each Other
We ALL "Shine" Bright
We spent the first three days of 2nd grade getting to know each other. Our classroom community is building and will continue to build as the year progresses. We got to know a little about each other through many different activities.
- Morning Meeting: we started each day with a Morning Meeting. We made eye contact and greeted other classmates. We had a question of the day-it was a question about themselves. It creates a positive classroom environment and builds rapport. One part of Morning Meeting is "Sharing". Each child will have a "SHARE" day each week. Be on the lookout for more details in the coming weeks.
- Me Bags: many of children have already brought in and shared their Me Bags. It has been great to get to know each other through the bags. I've enjoyed getting to know them all. We have been making so many connections with each other.
- Classroom Checklists: our class has done several different activities to share our favorites, feelings, and characteristics about ourselves.
- STEM Activities: we've done two this week. We first stacked cups to create the tallest tower as possible. We worked in groups of four to get this done. We "saved the worm" on Friday. This was highly engaging and so exciting to see them communicate with their partner to get a gummy lifesaver around a gummy work using only 4 paper clips. Ask your child all about it!
There are 4 parts to 2LL homework:
- Reading Log: as part of homework each night (Monday-Thursday) is to read for 15-20 minutes. Please record at least one of the book titles they read in their agenda each night. It's very important for them to read each night!
- Math Homelinks: I will be sending home the Math Homelink book on very soon with your child. Please keep this book at home. The children will be recording their DAILY math homework in their agenda each day. Please have your child complete the Homelink that was recorded and send in ONLY that page the NEXT DAY.
- Spelling: Second Graders will have Spelling homework. Our words will be from a new program, Fundations, that is being implemented this year. It's currently a work in progress and I will go over it more in detail at Back to School Night.
- Parent Signature: Please sign your child's agenda each night. It's part of our home-school connection and your child looks for that signature each morning when they record their homework.
You can now follow us on Twitter. Our class will use this social media site to tweet quotes of students, teachers, and even pictures of our happenings during the day. You don't want to miss our tweets so follow us on TWITTER!
Follow the link TatemMrsLloyd to start following us!
2LL Housekeeping Items
- Snack: Reminder: our class will have a working snack sometime during the morning hours each day. Please send in A small healthy snack with your child. It should be something they can eat quickly and easily.
- Pencil Pouch: We are going to be using Pencil Pouches to keep our supplies in our desk this year. Please send in a large cloth-type pencil pouch for your child.
- Book Orders: our class will be taking book orders through the Scholastic Reading Club this year. Please follow this link, to my eBoard, to find more information about book club ordering. The first flyer will be coming home by the end of this week.
- School Supplies: if you haven't sent in your child's school supplies please do so as soon as possible. The second grade list can be found on Tatem's homepage.