LET'S TALK MATH
USING NUMBER TALKS IN YOUR CLASSROOM
WHY IS STANDARDS-BASED MATH IMPORTANT?
The truth is that students are still being taught math the way we have always learned it. That hasn’t changed. However, in addition to the traditional way of learning math, students are being taught another approach to help them understand how and why math problems work—called "number sense". This new way shows students that numbers are just flexible things made up of other numbers and makes solving math problems that much easier.
View the video below to hear how this all makes sense.
WHAT ARE NUMBER TALKS?
Check out this link for an overview of math talks and their purpose.
WHY SHOULD I DO NUMBER TALKS IN MY CLASSROOM?
1. Model different methods for computing.
2. Ask students to calculate mentally.
3. Have class discussions about strategies for computing.
4. Make estimation an integral part of computing.
5. Pose numerical problems that have more than one answer.
6. Question students about their thinking
HOW DO I DO IT?
How to manage Number Talks
1. Keep it short (5-15 min).
2. Do it every day.
3. Give students lots of practice with the same kinds of problems.
4. Teach with intention. Start with your current topic and/or build toward your next.
5. Chart student thinking without judgement. Accept all answers without praise or criticism.
6. Encourage students to listen and ask questions of each other.
7. Encourage students to self correct.