Splendid Second Grade News
A Peek at What's Happening in Ms. Hoos' Room!
Tuesday, Sept. 20th
*PTA Skate Party @ Skateland 6:00-8:00pm
Wednesday, Sept. 21st
*Chapter 1 Spelling Test
Thursday, Sept. 22nd
*PTA Ice Cream Social from 5:00-5:45pm
*Open House from 5:30-6:30pm
Friday, Sept. 23rd
*Spirit Day - Crazy Hair Day
Friday, Sept. 30th
*September Reading Log Due
Tuesday, October 4th
*Treasures of the City @ 6:15pm (This event takes place at City Government Plaza)
What Are We Learning?
We are continuing with the same skills from last week.
- Mentor Text: The Salamander Room by Anne Mazer, Bedhead by Margie Palatini, and A Night in the Country by Cynthia Rylant
- Comprehension Skill: Visualizing & Sensory Images
- Grammar Skill: Adjectives
Math: Chapter 1 - Addition & Subtraction Strategies
- Focus: addition & subtraction strategies, fact families, missing addends, and two-step word problems
- We will be taking a test over Chapter 1 on Wednesday, September 21st.
- We will also begin "Bubble Gum" Math - This is our fast fact practice. Students are encouraged to be practicing their basic addition and subtraction skills at home
Project - Second Grade Survival Books
- Students are being introduced to each step of the writing process. Last week we focused on brainstorming and writing. This week we will revise, edit, and publish.
- We are working on building our writing stamina during Daily 5
Content: Social Studies
Unit 1: Citizenship in Our Nation & Classroom
- Driving Question: What does it mean to act as a responsible citizen in our community and in our classroom?
We will be focusing on learning more about our Springfield community and the history of our city. More information about Treasures of the City will be coming home in the next few weeks.