Snow Days, Natural Disasters & A.L.I.C.E.
KPBSD Emergency Information
Do you know where to find out if school is closed for inclement weather?
You can find all this information and more at the link below:
If school is closed for any reason we will let you know in the following ways:
KPBSD has adopted a new strategy for armed intruders known as A.L.I.C.E., which is an acronym for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter and Evacuate. The A.L.I.C.E. program offers a different philosophy than we have used in the past in light of recent school violence. The philosophy of A.L.I.C.E. is to provide technology and information to staff and students so they can make informed decisions in a crisis, remove as many people as possible from the danger zone and provide realistic training so that those involved in a crisis have a better chance of surviving.
A more detailed description of A.L.I.C.E. can be found here:
Last year all students received training to the program, a short video, a class discussion on specific armed intruder scenarios and participated in two A.L.I.C.E. drills.
This year, we are implementing A.L.I.C.E. drills that coincide with fire drills at least 2 times. Since these events are not predictable, we will provide different dangerous situations for discussion during each drill. Students will not be leaving classrooms for these drills.
If you need more information or have any questions on the A.L.I.C.E. program you can call me at 235-4600.
Homer High School Principal
Are You Prepared for an Emergency?
During and Emergency:
- Please trust that we are doing all we can to keep your child safe
- Do not call or rush to school (We need to focus on keeping our students safe and making sure rescue vehicles can make it into our parking lot
- Do not phone or text your child (This ties up phone service for emergency responders)
After an Emergency:
- Students will only be released to parents or guardians or designated people who are documented as emergency contacts
- Valid picture ID may be required
- If our school is not safe, our emergency shelter or gathering area is the Kachemak Bay Campus parking lot
- Please be patient as reunification can be time-consuming
- Listen to you child about the expereince
- Get help or counseling if needed
You can find more detailed information at: