LRMS: Week at a Glance
January 19 - 22, 2016
Sayings from Skinner
News You Can Use
Read Here, and Be "In the Know"
- Kudos to Libby McFry, who worked some magic and got a $10,000 wheelchair donated for one of our students!
- Kudos to Gayla LeMay who was able to get some funding for a number of super-nice brand new warm coats for some of our students!
- Kudos to Colonel Quick, Nurse Neal, Mrs. Johnson, Coach Martin (our TOTY), and the entire JLC (along with a number of parent volunteers) who braved the cold and represented Radloff in fine fashion at the annual Gwinnett County Dr. Martin Luther King Day Parade.
- Kudos to the Black History Month Committee, for their great presentations leading up to this past weekend's celebration -- thank you for bringing history alive and helping our students understand how the Civil Rights Movement lives on. We all look forward to the other activities that are to come in February.
- Kudos to Kelsi Carter, who was married this past weekend and is now Mrs. James Hamilton (we're waiting to see if a name change is to come officially!).
- Kudos to Holly Hall, the entire advisement team, Rasheedra Nelson, and Dr. Alicia Jackson for the great Study Skills and Advisement lessons that have really helped kick off 2016, in a great way!
- Official kudos and welcome aboard (again) to Morgan Montgomery (her email is Amanda Montgomery) who has been our amazing Stellar Sub for the past few months, but will not be assuming full-time teaching duties as she becomes the new language arts teacher at 8th grade as Marcia Ellington-Lopez begins her life as a full-time mom in Chicago!!!
- Kudos to the ELT-Leadership Team for your work in bringing out and initially training on the updated ELT program.
- Kudos to ALL for the great support of the Grade Level Assemblies last week -- please keep furthering the message, so that hopefully, our kids will really begin to internalize the need to OWN their work, so that they might MASTER their future success! Remember that we have the final "Study Skills" lesson this week, Advisement, and one day of Guided Study (the other day of the week will be in Raider Round-ups) --- check your email for the lessons/directions for each of these!
2) Pep Rallies are Wednesday
Don't forget that students will report to their "A" day connections on Wednesday -- the Connections teachers will walk the students to the gym, where the grade level teachers will be waiting to help supervise. Also . . . many volunteers are needed to participate in each free throw content and each basketball game -- let Coach Martin or Coach Hartley know if you're willing to volunteer and be a part of the spirit!!!!
3) Follow up to Report Cards
HR teachers -- please make sure that you follow up with students and get a signed report card returned from EACH and EVERY student!! If you do NOT have a report card returned, please call and follow up -- this is one of our best forms of documentation.
4) AAP Starts Tuesday, January 16th
Schedules will be provided for all students needing and receiving AAP this first round (this will be a round that focuses on math -- students who need LA will receive it in the 2nd round). Please make sure that students know that this is NOT optional -- they must be in their AAP class (being held in Peggy Dobson's room and taught by her) EVERY day in place of their connections classes until the "round" is complete.
5) Raider Round-ups are this Week!
Please be there to help supervise! It's going to be a cold, wet week, but we know the kids will still appreciate the time to socialize and celebrate their continuing good behavioral choices -- all faculty should be there to assist on their grade level's day to make sure the PBIS Committee has plenty of support!
6) Tech/Math Staff Developments on Thursday
If you are a math teacher, you will continue your work with our District Math Coach, Deborah Johnson, during your planning period on Thursday -- meet in your usual CAT Captains' rooms. All other staff should report to the Staff Development Room on Thursday during planning -- bring your laptop -- this will be a Just-in-time Training about some new resources at your fingertips AND be the final word on what you'll need to know/do for CyberDays (when/if they occur). Remember -- that ALL are expected to enact the CyberDay dry run on our first "snow day." So come ready to pay close attention, so all are in the know!
7) The New ELT Begins Next Monday -- updated ELT rosters are due to Mary Ann by noon on Thursday, 1/21
Please make sure she knows which students belong to which ELT instructor. Students who were in special education study skills classes will remain in those classes unless their has been an IEP change. Ideally, all ELT instructors know what they will be doing on Monday, January 25th, as we kick off the "new ELT." If you do not, additional reminders will be shared on Friday, January 22, during the faculty meeting -- and ELT leaders and administrators will be available in the usual GL meeting spots on Friday during all planning periods to answer any last-minute questions or address any concerns. Please keep feedback coming on this updated system as we move forward into the spring.
8) 10-5-1(1) Forms
All of these forms should have been submitted by all teachers at this time . . .please remember to keep these "urgent" and "important" students at the front of your radar. It is through relationships and monitoring that we make the most difference with student achievement!
9) Teacher Preference Placement Forms for 2016-17 are due MONDAY, January 25th -- this will give you an extra weekend should you need it to get it filled out and returned to Brian Howe. Remember, these are NOT binding -- if you need to change some of the information, just see Brian to update your form!!
10) GCPS School Inventory Begins on Tuesday, January 19
Hard to believe that it's time for our annual inventories to begin! The Media Center inventory is close to complete -- and the GCPS Equipment Inventory will begin on Tuesday. Please follow all emailed instructions from Chris Corbitt exactly. Hopefully, there will be little intrusion to instruction -- but if someone comes in and needs something, please help assist them as quickly as possible.
Events of the Week
Monday, January 18, 2016 -- MLK Holiday
No School due to Federal & State Holiday
Tuesday, January 19, 2016 -- A Day Connections
GCPS Inventory Audit Begins (approximately 7:30 a.m.)
8:30 a.m.-- --
9:30 a.m.-- --- HR/Study Skills -- Study Skills Lesson #3 (coming in email for 7th & 8th grades); 6th grade Raider Round-up
10:15 a.m.-- .-- 7th grade MA/LA Collab. Planning
12:45 p.m. -- ALL 8th grade CAT Plannings (CAT Captains may elect to meet on Friday, but should inform content AP of this change, if occurring)
2:50 p.m. -- 6th grade MA/LA Collab Planning
Wednesday, January 20, 2016 -- A Day Connections (no class, but to travel to/from Pep Rallies
8:15 a.m. -- Morning Tutoring
9:30 a.m. -- Advisement
10:15 a.m. -- Pep Rally
12:45 p.m. -- Pep Rally
2:50 p.m. -- Pep Rally
Thursday, January 21, 2016 -- B day Connections
MHS Teachers to visit LRMS classes (tentatively arriving at 12:30)
8:15 a.m. -- PBIS Meeting
9:30 a.m. -- Guided Study (8th grade)/Study Skills #3 lesson (6th grade); 7th grade Raider Round-ups
Tech/Math Staff Developments during All Planning Periods
5:00 p.m. -- Basketball Game (HOME) vs. Lilburn MS at MHS
Friday, January 22, 2016 - A/B Day Connections
2016-17 Teacher Preference Forms originally due -- may be submitted on Monday, January 25th to Brian Howe
8:15 a.m. -- Faculty Meeting Starts in cafeteria
9:30 a.m. -- Guided Study (6th & 7th grades)/8th grade Raider Round-ups
Grade Level Meetings during all Planning Periods -- in SD room (to learn about new ELT Program)
11: 30 a.m.-- Connections Collab Planning
Saturday, January 23, 2016
9:00 a.m. -- Basketball Game (HOME) vs. Jones MS (at MHS)
- Monday, January 25 -- New ELT format begins
- Wednesday, January 27 -- 9:45 a.m. -- 1st Semester Honors Ceremony
- Thursday, February 4 -- 6:00 p.m. -- Rising 9th grade Parent Night at MHS
- Friday, February 12 -- 4 1/2 - week progress reports go home
- Monday, February 15 -- Staff Development Day/Student Holiday (1st Snow Day)
- Wednesday, February 24 - Thursday, February 25 -- Early Release
- Friday, February 25 -- Paloozas (during Connections)
- Saturday, February 26 -- Sunday, February 27 -- GIRLS Academy Lock-in (more info. to come)
- Thursday, March 3 -- 6:00 p.m. -- Family Science/STEM Night