Houston Academy Library
What's up for February?
Wipe Away Your Library Fines With Library Love Letters
Unfortunately they aren't magical enough to make the cost of a lost book disappear.
Coin Drive With All For Books
This money will go to buy books to expand the classroom library of each homeroom with books from the Scholastic Book Fair. Once the money has been collected, the total amount will be turned in to Scholastic, who will then match it by donating books to a school in need.
You can do double the good! Help your school and help students who are less fortunate than you!
The coin drive will be held from Monday February 17th - February 21st!
book fair is here from Monday February 24-February 28th
Remember that reading is one of the most important skills you can teach a child, and the one you can influence the most. Stop by the book fair and help us encourage our students to read every day so they can lead better lives!
JHA Bluebonnet Results
1st Place - The One and Only Ivan
The winner by a nose with 94 votes!
2nd Place - Giants Beware!
A very close second place with 91 votes!
3rd Place - 10 Rules You Absolutely Must Not Break
A close third place with 88 votes!
How many votes did the other books get?
68 for Wonder
66 for Ghetto Cowboy
33 for Whatever After: Fairest of All
29 for Freaky Fast Frankie Joe
19 for The Humming Room
16 for Barnum's Bones
14 for Balloons Over Broadway
9 for Jangles: a BIG Fish Story
8 for Glory Be
7 for Coral Reefs
4 for Tua and the Elephant
4 for Looking at Lincoln
4 for Walls Within Walls
3 for Waiting for the Magic
1 for Laugh with the Moon
0 for Flying the Dragon
The District Spelling Bee is February 12th!
Celebrate Black History Month
Resources for learning more about the contributions of African Americans to our society and culture:
Valentine's Day- Did You Know?
- More than 36 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate are sold for Valentine's Day each year.
- About 8 billion candy hearts will be produced this year; that’s enough candy to stretch from Rome, Italy to Valentine, Arizona 20 times and back again.
- About 1 billion Valentine's Day cards are exchanged in US each year. That's the largest seasonal card-sending occasion of the year, next to Christmas.
- Worldwide, over 50 million roses are given for Valentine's Day each year.
- Women purchase 85% of all valentines.
- Richard Cadbury invented the first Valentines Day candy box in the late 1800s/
- Alexander Graham Bell applied for his patent on the telephone, an "Improvement in Telegraphy", on Valentine's Day, 1876.
- Over $1 billion worth of chocolate is purchased for Valentine's Day in the U.S.