Ms. Kilar's Class News
Friday, June 3, 2016
U.P. Field Trip
We had a blast in the U.P. Thanks to Mrs. Gretzinger, Mrs. Mesner, Mrs. Lauria, Ms. Gidley, and Mr. Kelso for attending the field trip with us and helping to chaperone! The kids learned a lot about the Great Lakes shipping industry, the Edmund Fitzgerald and Life Saving Stations that helped to rescue stranded sailors before the creation of the Coast Guard. The falls were beautiful. But, I think the highlight of the trip was Oswald's Bear Ranch! There were several adorable baby bears who were really putting on a show for the kids!
Sleeping Bear Dunes
We're back on the road again next week heading to Sleeping Bear Dunes on Thursday, June 9.
- We will be leaving right at 8am.
- Students will need to pack a lunch and extra snacks or a dinner, we will not be returning to Shay until 6:30pm.
- I also recommend kids bring plenty to drink
- bug spray
- Your child will need to be picked up in front of Shay at 6:30pm.
- Please let me know if you have any questions.
- Reading: We reviewed using signal words to show relationships in cause and effect nonfiction text.
- Writing: Students worked on editing and writing the final draft of their fiction stories.
- Grammar: We continued to review comparative and superlative adverbs and adjectives.
This week we continued to work on some geometry concepts including symmetry and characteristics of various plane figures. Students also worked with partners to complete some review work in preparation for the end-of-the-year Go Math test.
Due to the short week and our field trip, we just focused on social studies this week. Students spent time completing their research for their Shay Days projects. Most groups started working on a digital media piece and their models. We'll have these projects completed next week and they'll be on display July 15-16 at the Harbor Springs Historical Society. Finally, Ms. Jan McDonald stopped by with a few of her former students. They shared about a time capsule project they buried in 1985 when they were in 4th grade! Ask your child about this cool project they'll get to pick up next year in 5th grade!
- Monday - Gym
- Tuesday -Music
- Wednesday -Library
- Thursday - Sleeping Bear Dunes field trip
- Friday - Music
Just math homework this week! We are done with spelling and grammar!
- June 7 and 8 - NWEA testing in the morning
- June 9 - Sleeping Bear Dunes (we will be returning around 6:30pm)
- June 13, 14, 15 - School Dismisses at 11am
- June 14 - Shay Triathlon
- June 15 - Last Day of School- 4th grade will be swimming up at the pool first thing in the morning