Homework- What do we believe?
Last year, we had some great focused discussion on the purpose, quantity, and philosophy of homework. We studied a bit of Wormeli's perspective on the topic, as he is reknowned on the topics of grading and assessment. We will be revisiting this topic again during a few ER's this year to see if we hone in and define our collective beliefs as a Maple Grove staff regarding homework. I thought you might find the following article, from a recent "Best Of" series from the publication Educational Leadership, an interesting relatively quick read on the topic.
In The Know...
- No committee mtgs this week
- NWEA testing begins in grades 3-5
- 9/9: ER: Essential Maps review
- 9/10 @ 7pm: PTO meeting: MG101 and WTW parent night
- 9/17: Body safety presentations
- 9/18: PTO fundraiser kickoff (schedule will be the same as the 1st fundraiser kickoff)
- 9/21: Author visit- Troy Cummings
Birthdays and welcomes:
- Happy birthday this coming week to Sandy Bailey on Thursday, Sept. 10!
- Welcome to our newest Kindergarten aides: Amy Dunkle (pm with Allison Smiley) and Ta'Lena Taylor who starts Tuesday with Annie Paxson! We're so glad you're here!
- Heather Gant, Allison Smiley, Melissa Gardner, Kellie Ireland, Angie Snodgrass, Melinda Talbott, Alison Fox, Connie Deiwert, Sandy Chambers, and Stacey Raftery for volunteering their time and expertise for the upcoming PTO meeting!
- Jamie Kirby for preparing folders for each teacher for data team meetings this past week.
- Beth and our PTO volunteers for counting all the fundraiser money! What a job!
- Our 5th grade team for demonstrating a PLC in action during ER. Thanks for being willing to be vulnerable to help us in this journey.