September 20, 2020
The Pershing Elementary Weekly Newsletter
Good Evening Pershing Families!
I hope this messages finds all families, students and staff doing well after a restful weekend. It was great to get a chance to see the stars the past few evenings, with cooler air hopefully helping to aid in fire fighting.
There are many ways to be involved at Pershing Elementary! First, thank you to all families who are working so hard to support student learning from home during Distance Learning. We know this has been extremely challenging and our staff appreciates all of your communication and perseverance. Please remember, let us know how things are going and what you need help with as you assist your students.
There are several other ways to participate in supporting our school, such as through PTO, School Site Council and ELAC. This week we have a few meetings open to the public:
- The English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) will meet tomorrow, Monday, September 21, 2020 from 6p.m. - 7p.m. on Zoom. The ELAC is primarily intended for parents of students who are English Learners.
- The School Site Council (SSC) will meet Tuesday, September 22, 2020 from 7:15a.m. - 8a.m. on Zoom, and all are welcome as well. The agenda for the School Site Council meeting can be found on the Pershing website here: https://www.sanjuan.edu/domain/1286
If you have questions about PTO, School Site Council, or anything related to Distance Learning, please call us at 916-979-8076 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mrs. Kendra Shelton
Mark Your Calendars
- September 21: English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) Meeting at 6p.m. on Zoom
- September 22: School Site Council Meeting at 7:15a.m. on Zoom
- September 28: ELAC Meeting at 6pm. on Zoom
- September 28: Student Materials Pick-Up (Kinder Only)
- October 5: Non-Instructional Day (No School)
- October 6: Student Materials Pick-Up (TK, 1st - 6th grades)
- October 6 - 9: Progress Reports sent home for 1st - 6th grades
- October 12: PTO Meeting, 6p.m. - 7:30p.m. on Zoom
- November 11: Veterans Day (No School)
- November 13: No School (Teacher Work-Day)
- November 16 - 20: Parent-Teacher Conferences Week
For the SJUSD School Year Calendar, go to: https://www.sanjuan.edu/Page/48288
Search in your mobile device’s app store for “San Juan Unified” to download the district app. You’ll be able to select Pershing, and with your parent pin and password, access student attendance, grades, report an absence and more!
Who has the most school spirit?
Congrats to Mrs. Zimbelman's TK class, again, for winning School Spirit last Friday by wearing green or gold! Way to go, TK Panthers!
Congrats runners up!
Congratulations to our 2nd place: Mrs. Chahal's 3rd grade class and 3rd place: Ms Milan's 4th grade class!
Every Friday is Pershing Panther Pride Day!
Show school spirit next Friday and wear something green, gold, or Panther Gear on your Zoom with your teacher!
Who has the most school spirit?
Congrats runners up!
Pershing Students: Need a Book to Read?
Check-out Library Books from Pershing by following these steps:
- A parent or guardian will fill out the Pershing Library Questionnaire by going to this link: https://forms.gle/5i2V7tSfvWJbFzJq9
- Mrs. Williams will select 4 books checked out to your child she thinks they will enjoy based on the answers to the questionnaire. The questionnaire only needs to be filled out once unless you want to update it. After your child checks out books for the first time, please email Mrs. Williams at email@example.com with your child’s name when you are ready for her to select 4 more books for check-out.
- The parent or guardian will receive an email when the books are ready for pick-up in the library. Pick-up times will be Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. When you come, please make sure you are wearing a mask and we will be practicing social distancing. Books will be held for 3 days once you have been notified that the books are ready.
- Books are due in 4 weeks, but may be returned earlier. There will be a book return outside the library.
- If you are returning books and are also coming to take the new ones that are waiting for your child at the same time, then you will come inside with the books to be returned (again, wearing a mask and practicing social distancing) so Mrs. Williams can verify that all books that were checked out have been returned. If your child wants to renew their book(s), they must be brought in to be scanned. All books checked out must be returned or renewed before you able to get new library books.
- The questionnaire only needs to be filled out once unless you want to update it. After your child checks out books for the first time, please email Mrs. Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org with your child’s name when you are ready for her to select 4 more books for check-out.
Note: If your child has an outstanding library book(s) from last school year, they will not be allowed to check-out books until those have been returned
School Food Program - PLEASE Read!
A large part of our school and district funding is tied to the number of families who qualify for free/reduced meals. Because we're in distance learning mode, many families chose to not fill out the form. This isn't good, because it reduces funding for Pershing (and all schools in the district). PLEASE, please, please fill out the form even if you don't want any meals during the year. We'd hate to lose funding. Visit: mealapps.sanjuan.edu/rocketscan
Some good news too! USDA has issued updated guidance that meals can be provided at no cost to all children 0-18 years old. Beginning Tuesday, September 8, 2020, one breakfast and one lunch per child, packaged together, will be handed out curbside to all children 0-18 years at Pershing. Non-meat options will be available to families upon request. Days- Monday through Friday, excluding holidays and non-instruction days. Pick Up times: between 7:00 - 8:30 a.m. If you cannot pickup in the morning, the following options will be available:11:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon.
Want FREE Homework Help???
Students in kindergarten through 8th grades can attend Sacramento Public Library’s Virtual Homework Zone via Zoom, and will be helped by trained teen Homework Coaches in completing their school assignments.
Drop-in homework help is available every Wednesday from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Email email@example.com for the week’s Zoom link.
Flyers in English and Spanish are below (attached to this email).
Need Support for Distance Learning?
For questions specific to the district, visit San Juan's microsite (www.sanjuan.edu/fall2020) designed to provide our community with the latest information about Fall 2020. Here you can find the latest district updates, details about the instructional options available to families, special education services during distance learning, as well as community resources available to support families.