Child care & School social worker
Recommend temporary foster care and advise foster or adoptive parents.
Supervise other social workers.
Counsel students whose behavior, school progress, or mental or physical impairment indicate a need for assistance, diagnosing students' problems and arranging for needed services.
Develop and review service plans in consultation with clients, and perform follow-ups assessing the quantity and quality of services provided.
Address legal issues, such as child abuse and discipline, assisting with hearings and providing testimony to inform custody arrangements.
- Lead group counseling sessions that provide support in such areas as grief, stress, or chemical dependency.
The work environment is really safe. You can work at a Elemantry school,Middle school,High school. I would work with other teachers.
Education and Training
I have to go to a 4 year college.I could have an Internship with a child care teacher and a social woker. According to Ms. Meg Goins, social worker at East Leyden High School, it is recommended that you "take classes in psychology, sociology, and social work if possible to learn a little about the field." She also suggests, talking to different social workers because the field is so broad and diverse. It's helpful to learn about the different things you could do as a social worker.
Preferred Job Skills
- Active Listening Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
The need is growing 20% but the goverment's funding is less
$53,540 per year
High School Preparation
I could join the FCCLA so I can develop leadership skill
I volunteer in the library reading for the little kids.Also I babysit two little girls after school.
- Meg Goins - Social Worker at East Leyden High School
- Maldonado, Jennifer-Child Care at East Leyden High Scool
- Kristine Sobieski - Facilitator and ACCESS Teacher