WI Family Newsletter - January 16, 2023
I hope everyone enjoyed the three day weekend. This week staff will be reteaching and reinforcing our arrival and dismissal expectations. Below you will find details about our school expectations, along with a picture of last week's winners from our weekly PAWS drawing. Throughout the day students have an opportunity to earn PAWS for displaying school wide expectations. Students put their name on the back of their PAW and put it in the bucket for our Friday drawing. If a student's PAW is drawn, they are invited to the music room to receive a small "wolf bite", their picture is taken for our family newsletter (below), and they lead our dance during Fanfare. We have amazing students! This is one way we highlight students following school wide expectations.
Work and Play Safe
Friendly reminder to mark your calendar!! Washington Irving's Open House and Health Fair will be on February 2nd from 5-7 pm. Mrs. King & Mrs. Maly have some great vendors joining the fun, along with a variety of presentations planned. Be sure to mark your calendars for this family friendly event!!
Parents now have access to their child's 2nd quarter progress report. Below you will find a link with directions on how to view and print your child's progress report. Please reach out to your child's teacher for any questions or concerns.
Edmond Public Schools' Pre-K Lottery Application period will be February 13th - February 27th. For more details, check out the flyer below.
Wishing you well,
Cori Ann Lloyd
Upcoming Events & Reminders
January 12th - January 27th - AimsWeb Winter Benchmark Window is Open - Teachers assess all students' progress
January 26th - PTO Meeting @ 6:30 WI Library
February 2nd - WI Open House & Health Fair 5:00pm - 7:00pm
February 9th - 4th Grade Music Program
February 16th - Spring Parent Teacher Conferences
January 13th PAWS Winners!
Friendly Reminders about Washington Irving's Arrival & Dismissal Procedures
- Pre-K at 2:55 in the bus loop
- Parents using the North loop (L-Z last names), please do not block the bus entrance/exit. This causes district wide bus issues if buses are not on time to other schools or to drop students at their designated bus stops.
- Our school doors open promptly at 8:20. Due to safety and supervision reasons, please have your child stay in your car until 8:20.
- Washington Irving does not allow walk-ups for dismissal. Please stay in your car with your car tag hung from your rearview mirror, so it is easily seen by staff and our safety patrol. We currently have two staff members input numbers into our Car Rider Plus system. They are not available to input numbers for parents that walk-up to the front door. For staff to organize and escort students safely to their car and in a timely manner, we are unable to stop our routine to assist parents that walk up to pick up their children. In addition, staff contract hours end at 3:45. If you come through the carline after 3:45, you will need to come into the office, show your ID or car tag to pick up your student.
- We have two walker systems, our front gate walkers and our back gate walkers. Both of these groups are led to nearby neighborhoods with a staff member. Our front walkers will exit the building from a south side door and cross Western with two staff members. Back gate walkers exit out of our west doors and are taken to the Twin Oaks area.
SAVE THE DATE
Click here to learn about how you can support Washington Irving's Spring Carnival
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if I forget to put my CAR RIDER PLUS TAG in my car?
You will have to park your car in a parking space, go inside to the office, present your driver’s license for verification to receive a temporary tag, then join the car line.
Can I use the CAR RIDER PLUS TAG to check out my student during regular school hours?
NO, you must present your driver’s license during regular school hours.
Can I show my driver’s license to the duty teacher instead of the CAR RIDER PLUS TAG?
NO, the duty teacher will only dismiss your child if you have the CAR RIDER PLUS TAG.
Can my friend or a grandparent pick up my child from the car line?
Yes, but they will need to have the CAR RIDER PLUS TAG with them to pick up your child. If they do not have the card, they will go to the office and present their driver’s license for a temporary tag, then join the car line. If their name is listed in the parent portal, they will be allowed to leave with your child.
Can my child go home with a friend’s parent?
If the friend’s parent has your child’s CAR RIDER PLUS TAG, then your child will be dismissed with them. If they do not have the CAR RIDER PLUS TAG, they must go to the office and present their driver’s license for verification. If their name is in the parent portal, then your child will be allowed to leave with them.