A Look at Our Week
Mrs. Petty & Mrs. Bayn's Preschool Class - Room 206
In the last two weeks, we have let our butterflies go, watched our baby robins leave their nest, and observed many springtime changes around our school neighborhood.
We also worked on:
- identifying letters and sounds while fishing for letters and playing Bingo
- making predictions about an unfamiliar story, making personal connections to a story, and retelling events from story
- sorting and counting by creating "families" of creature counters
- recalling events and favorite activities of our preschool year
- identifying and creating numbers with WikiStix
- providing rhyming words at the end of a sentence and drawing the word to create a picture
- body awareness and balance by trying to balance foam blocks on different body parts
Skills we worked on:
- Problem solving
- Gross-motor skills
- Phonological awareness
- Alphabetic knowledge
- Concepts about print
- Number words and symbols
- Communicating ideas
Checking out our butterflies in the classroom
One of the butterflies landed on the table so we could get a really good look
The afternoon class was waiting patiently for the butterflies to fly away
Daddy bird feeding the Baby birds
The baby birds sure were hungry!
One of our students checking out the information and pictures another teacher put together for us
This week we will work on:
- measuring as we make playdough in class
- identifying and "reading" common symbols in our environment and in print
- identifying shapes and creating more complex shapes from basic shapes
- make predictions about whether certain objects will sink or float in water
- using empty boxes in our play as props and as blocks to add different ideas to our play
Upcoming Dates & Reminders
- I emailed the link to sign up for your Spring Home Visit. Please sign up as soon as possible.
- This will be the last week that the children bring home their Reading Folders.
- Wednesday 5/18 & Thursday 5/19 - Hearing & Vision Screening (please return the slip of paper regarding your child's recent hearing or vision exams, if you have not already done so)
- Thursday 5/19 - Book Orders Due (If for some reason books do not arrive before 5/26 (they should!), we will bring them with us on Home Visit!)
- Wednesday 5/25 - End of the Year Celebrations at RHS: 5 - 7 p.m.
- Thursday 5/26 - Last Day of Class
- Tuesday 5/31 - Monday 6/6 - Spring Home Visits