Mrs. Weegar's First Grade
Week of September 9, 2013
This week in Language Arts
-We will be "building our reading stamina" as we continue to work on Read to Self. During this time, we will be focusing on appropriate reading behaviors and reviewing how to choose Good Fit books.
-We will be discussing the Three Ways to Read a Book which are: Read the Pictures, Read the Words, and Retell the Story. The learners will be able to choose any three of these methods during Read to Self time.
-We will be creating Heart Maps. These are thinking maps where we can keep in mind things that are important in our hearts, such as friends, family, school, etc. We will use these Heart Maps all year in order to help us think of things that are important to us that we would like to write about during Daily Five: Work on Writing.
-We will be creating lists, another writing option that will be available to us during Daily Five: Work on Writing.
-We will also be writing letters, which is yet another choice during Work on Writing time.
-We will be reviewing all capital letters this week in our new Handwriting books.
-We will review correct posture and pencil grip to use when we are writing as well.
We will add number words to the word wall: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.
- We will connect number names and written numbers to the quantities they represent.
- We will begin completing story problems and other math skills in our Math Journals.
- We will compare two quantities up to ten and see which is larger.
- We will sort objects by shape, size, and color.
During Calendar Time we will:
-Identify pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters
-Differentiate between odd and even numbers
-Chart the weather
-Use a hundred chart
- We will continue to discuss ways to show that we are responsible and model these reponsible behaviors.
- We will continue to identify ways to be safe at school.
- We will continue to discuss school rules.
- We will discuss each of our similarities and differences and discuss how we can work together as a team.
For Your Calendar...
-Today during school-Cookie Dough Fundraiser Kick-Off! Information will be coming home in backpacks!
-9/10-PTO Meeting at 6:30 p.m.
-9/12-Austin Elementary Back to School Bash sponsored by the PTO 6:00-8:00 p.m.
-9/16-Dot Day-more information to come! For now, pick out an outift for Monday with dots on it!