heart, blood, lungs and, blood vessels
Parts of the circulatory system - Heart, Lungs, Blood Vessels and Blood
Function of the heart
Function of the lungs, blood vessels and blood
Blood Vessels- The blood vessels are the tubs that carry blood to all parts of the body. there are three typs: arteries, veins and capillaries
Blood- the blood is the liquid that the heart pumps thourgh the vessels. it delivers oxygen to all the tissues of the body and then carries back carbon dioxide back. The blood has three major parts:
- Red blood cells - Red blood cells carry the oxygen
- white blood cells - There are not very many of these as compared to red blood cells but they are very important. they help fight off germs and disease.
- Platelets - This is the part of the blood that clots when you have a wound. it gets thick and forms a clot so you don't bleed to death.
All of these parts are all in liquid called plasma. Plasma is yellowish colored and gives the blood a liquid consistency. It is mostly water
Diseases of the Circulatory System
- Arrhythmia - it is were you have an irregular heart beat rhythm.
- Stroke - a stroke is causes a blockage of blood vessels to the brain.
- High Cholesterol - fat in the blood
- Hypertension -high blood pressure
Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment for Stroke
Causes: A blockage of blood vessels to the brain. Risk factors are smoking, diabetes and high cholesterol
Symptoms: sudden numbness or weakness in face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body there is also signs of confusion, trouble speaking or difficulty understanding speech, trouble seeing in one or both eyes and sometimes severe headaches
Treatments: Reduce blood pressure, give blood thinners, surgery to remove the clot.
How to keep the Circulatory System healthy
- Excercise regularly
- Maintain a healthy wieght
- limit foods high in cholesterol, unhealthy fat and sugar
- limit sodium in your diet
- Know the signs and symptoms of heart attack and stroke so you can react quickly
- Treat high blood pressure
Can we live without the circulatory system?
Medical advances related to the Circulatory System
- Statins - a type of medicine to lower cholesterol levels in blood
- Blood Pressure Lowering Drugs
- Surgical Advancements in Heart Surgery, Artificial Heart Valves and Even Artificial Hearts
What other sytems doses the circulatory system work with?
- the respiratory system which brings in oxygen so the circulatory system can transport oxygen to the whole body
- The digestive system, which gets nutrients out of food and the circulatory system distributes it out to the rest of the body.
- The skeletal system, which makes red blood cells