Summer of Terror
By: Lisette Casillas & Bryan Waters
Two brothers, James and Benjamin Williams began to commit hate crimes against different religions and homosexuals. They only had a short run where they lit a synagogue on fire, brutally murdered a gay couple, and set fire to an abortion clinic. The brothers were eventually caught due to large amounts of trace evidence and a key witness. They both were charged with several counts of arson, hate crimes, and murder. Benjamin Williams committed suicide and his brother James Williams pled guilty to murder with life in prison without parole.
- Three black 1 gallon Mobil oil jugs where they found in multiple locations, including their parents home, and the stolen car that also smelled like gasoline.
- They found a blue jumpsuit in their parents home which reflected the eye witness' statement saying he saw two men in jumpsuits.
- White and brown dog hairs were found at the first fire which they also found at their parents home. They also found feathers which were similar to the animals found at Palo Cedro residence.
- Gary Matson's credit card which was used to purchase ammunition which was traced back to a P.O box where James and Benjamin were picking up the ammunition.
- They found several paint chips similar to the paint from the abortion clinic connecting to the pry bar in Williams' car.
- They found DNA in the blue jumpsuit indicating who wore the suit. They also found traces of the blue jumpsuit in the stolen car which placed them in the car.