August 18, 2014
I am looking forward to a terrific year. Many of you have been in my classroom, an after school activity, or just know me from school. There are lots of opportunities for parents, grandparents, and guardians to help in the classroom this year. On the parent survey, please let me know how and when you can help. Please send this back by Friday.
My education philosophy is focused on the individual student. Each child has his or her own strengths and weaknesses. I am here to facilitate the learning and help each child reach his or her own potential this year. Because of each student's own personal strengths and weaknesses, I do many group activities and discussions where students are learning together and from one another.
- We will be moving into a middle school model for Math, Science, and Social Studies. I will teach all 6th grade students math, while Mrs. Brass will teach all sections of science and social studies. See attached schedule. We will have more specifics at Open House regarding this.
- Absences - For each day of school students are gone, they have a day to make up the work and turn it in. For example- if you are gone Friday, you will receive homework instructions Monday (and hopefully recess time to work on it) and it will be due Tuesday. If I know ahead of time I can get the work to you before you leave. Also, let's say you miss school on Friday. If homework is due Friday and was assigned on a day you were here, you are expected to turn that homework in the day you return. The one day make up only applies to when you miss instruction for a project or activity.
- Snacks - I will provide time for individual snacks each morning. Please send healthy, non-messy snacks.
- Water bottles are optional. We now have some great water bottle filling drinking fountains that dispense cold water!
- As all classes did last year, we will continue the SRI/Lexile reading program. Students will take feedback quizzes for the books they read at home.
- I am sending the link to this newsletter out. If you do not receive it electronically and expected/want to, please let me know by emailing me (email@example.com).
- Our classroom rules are: Be Respectful, Be Responsible, Be Safe.
- Follow directions the first time they are given.
- Come to class prepared to learn every day.
- Share regularly. Give feedback. Ask questions.
- Take ownership of your results; be accountable. Don't blame.
- Ask for help when you need it; use the advice I give you.
- Accept failure as the learning moment it is, not as a disappointment.
- 100 minutes of reading per week. For the first quarter students will need to fill out a reading log. Students have the chance to earn the title of Independent Reader by turning in all of the reading logs. Independent Readers are not required to fill out reading logs after the first 9 weeks. Reading logs will be sent home Friday and due the following Friday. One will be coming home this Friday with further instructions.
- Vocabulary or Spelling homework. Given Monday and collected Friday.
- Math - Monday - Thursday. Time will be given in class to work on it, should not take more than 30 minutes to complete at home.
August 26 - Open House - 6:30 - 7:30
Sept. 1 - No School - Labor Day
Sept. 17 - Early Release @ 1:45 (There are six again this year, take note on attached calendar the district has arranged them to fit better in the schedule compared to last year.)