Findley Elementary School
May 3, 2019
Letter from the Principal
Can you believe it’s May? This year has flown by so fast it’s hard to believe there are only six more weeks left in the school year.
Next week is Teacher Appreciation Week! Please help us celebrate the awesome teachers we have here at Findley. Students can show their appreciation by:
- Monday wearing their teacher’s favorite color
- Tuesday bringing teacher’s favorite snack
- Thursday their favorite school supply
- Friday a favorite sweet treat!
Our Findley teachers are some of the best in the business and deserve to be appreciated every day.
It has been an exciting time in 5th grade as students are gearing up for exhibition and winding down their elementary years. Students have been taking action and learning about how to be a good steward for our planet by hosting and hearing from some special visitors from out and about in the community. See pictures below.
Lastly, as you have most likely heard, next Wednesday, May 8 will be a non-student day for Beaverton students. This is due to the desire of many teachers throughout the state to participate in a "Day of Action" designed to advocate for adequate and stable funding after decades of disinvestment in K-12 education. It is important that our elected representatives hear our collective voices and fund our schools. For the first time in decades, we have a real opportunity to fund the schools our students deserve. Parents and families are welcome to join their teachers and other school staff in advocating for quality education in Oregon. Information about the planned events on this historic “Day of Action” can be found here: may8forstudents.org
Enjoy the beautiful weekend ahead!
Sherry Marsh, Ed. D.
CELEBRATING OUR STUDENTS SUCCESS!
Way to go, Shyam
Cleveland Music Festival is the largest music gathering in the US for the past 50 years. It is held on Easter weekend every year across 12 locations in cleveland. Over 12000 people attend it.
Shyam got to perform alongside the best musicians in the Viking stadium and CSU auditorium.
He was adjudged the best in 2 categories - 1) drums player as well as 2) rhythmic recitation, kids under 12years.
Counseling Corner www.smore.com Guidance In 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade we have been teaching students about Mindfulness. We feel it's very timely with spring bringing new...
THERE’S ROOM FOR YOU ON THE FINDLEY PTO BOARD!
The PTO Board is a decision-making body for the Parent Teacher Organization. Findley PTO is now setting its 2019-2020 Officer Slate! There’s room for you! Visit our website at www.findleypto.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Board Positions for 2019-2020:
· Technology officer
· Vice President
· Volunteer Coordinator
Findley PTO Supporting Quality Education
How does the 2019 – 2020 Budget Cuts impact Findley?
· Staff reduction of 3 classroom teachers.
· Reduction of full-time intervention teacher to half-time.
· Increased class sizes due to less staff.
· Reduction of ELL program staffing.
· Loss of PYP program, including Spanish language and PYP coordinator.
· 15% budget reduction.
Our Students Need Our Support Now – YOU Can Help!
Legislators need to hear from the community about how these cuts will directly impact students.
· Email your representatives to urge them to support the Student Success Act. Use this link to find your legislators and an email template: https://act.myngp.com/Forms/-5937648455645918208.
· Call your representatives and tell them “Hi, my name is ______ and I am a constituent from [city.] I’m calling to urge [REP/SENATOR] to vote yes on HB 3427, The Student Success Act. This bill will make a world of difference for the students in our community. Oregon kids can’t wait any longer for a quality education. Please vote yes on the Student Success Act.”
Legislators for Findley families (District 17) are:
Sen. Elizabeth Steiner Hayward, 503-986-1717, Sen.ElizabethSteinerHayward@oregonlegislature.gov
Rep. Sherri Sprenger, 503-986-1417,
· Attend the State Education Forum on May 1 (see attached).
· Visit Invest in Oregon, https://www.investoregon.org/, to learn more about the Student Success Act and sign the pledge to support education funding.
Day of Action: May 8th at the Waterfront Park – 11am to 2pm
Join Beaverton teachers & families at 173rd & Cornell for sign waiving at 8:00 - 10:00 am.
Findley 2019/2020 Dragon Dash Committee Sign Up
We're looking for volunteers for Dragon Dash 2019, our main fundraiser for Findley programs! The money raised will support PTO programs that directly enrich your student’s education. We need your help in making the Dragon Dash a success. There are a variety of committee positions available that begin in late August and throughout September. Please click on the sheet for volunteering opportunities that can easily fit any schedule. Our Dragon Dash project manager, Amy Humble, will be in touch with you soon to begin planning for this Fall's event. Bring your creativity and let's make Dragon Dash 2019 one for the record books!
Findley Carnival - June 7th
The Findley Carnival is near! We are set for Friday, June 7th with food, fun and games! As we get closer to the date, we will of course be looking for volunteers. Our celebration this year surrounds the actual theme of a 'Carnival'. We hope to see our students and community there! Pre-Sales for this event will start in Mid-May.
Findley Flyer Needs Volunteers!!!
Dr. Marsh reached the marathon level last week with Findley Flyers!! Way to go Dr. Marsh!!
The kids have been running and working hard to achieve their goals as we reach the end of the year.
We have 4 Tuesdays + 4 Thursdays = for a total of 8 running days left. Check in with your runner/walker to see how they are tracking on accomplishing their goal for the year and plan accordingly. It’s a great time of year to check out Thursday mornings if you haven’t yet. Get some extra miles in as well as start your day off with a brain boost!
Tuesday, May 28th and Thursday, May 30th will be our last Findley Flyer days for the year. As always, we need a lot of volunteers to keep these kids moving. Please sign up if you are able to help out.
In addition, the current lead of Findley Flyers needs to find someone to pass the baton to for next year! If you are interested in being part of the committee that helps keep this great program running, please contact Rachelle Leffler at email@example.com for further info.
Tuesday Recess Volunteer Times & Sign Up: ·
- K - 1st: 10:15 am - 11:10 am (need 5 volunteers) - FF Tuesday Recess Volunteer Sign Up - Kinder & 1st ·
- 2nd - 3rd: 11:10am - 12:05 pm (need 4 volunteers) - FF Tuesday Recess Volunteer Sign Up - 2nd & 3rd
- · 4th - 5th: 12:00 pm - 12:55 pm (need 3 volunteers) - FF Tuesday Recess Volunteer Sign Up - 4th & 5th
Thursday AM Volunteer Time & Sign Up: · All Grades: 8:00 - 8:20 AM - FF Thursday AM Volunteer Sign Up
Please join us on Saturday, May 4 to help beautify Findley's School Grounds!
- 1 - 4 pm
- Rain or Shine
- Bring - yard gloves, rakes, brooms, shovels, etc.
- Snacks will be provided & there will be a water jug to fill water bottles
- Students that attend can enter to win a garden basket prize
Questions - Please contact Dana Rodman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Findley Math Olympiad
Congratulations to all the students who participated in Math Olympiad 2018-2019!
Special congratulations to the following winners:
5th grade : Isha Garg & Andrew Su
4th grade: Anshul Mantri.
Save the Date! Findley PTO General Meeting Dates
PTO General Meetings (Findley Library) – Presentations and staff updates. Open to all interested parents!
* Monday, May 20 - 7pm
8th - No Students / Day of Action
14th - 3rd Grade PYP Night
15th - Ride / Bike / Walk to School
15th - Passport Club
17th - Passport Re-check
22nd - Volunteer Celebration
27th - Memorial Day - No School
4th - Choir & Xylophone PerformanceLaurel Parc 4-5pm
5th - Performance Team - Jr. Rose Parade
5th - 7th - Mini book Fair
7th - Carnival
9th - Choir & Xylophone Performance Oaks Park k1pm
10th - Choir & Xylophone Performance Bethany Village 4-5pm
13th - Field Day
14th - 5th Grade Celebration
14th - Last day School - Assembly 8:35 - 9:40