New Bridge Middle School
9/17/23 - updated 9/18
IMPORTANT REMINDERS for this week:
This week At A Glance:
* Interim Reports - Please check Power School
*Softball home vs Trexler
*Football Home vs Dixon
*National IT Professionals Day
*STEAM Club Day
*Early Release Professional Development Day - Students dismissed at 11:40AM
*Softball Away @JCMS
***PTO Attractions Coupon Book Fundraiser Ends on Monday, September 25th
- Families, please remember that you need to return the Attraction Book if you're not going to sell it.
If you purchase it the price is $25
Have A Great Week!
Vaccine and Health Assessment Reminder
North Carolina law requires that students entering 7th grade receive the Meningococcal conjugate and Tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis (Tdap) vaccination. If you child has not been vaccinated, please make arrangements as soon as possible. Students that do have their vaccines and/or show proof of their required vaccines within the first 30 days of school will be excluded.
Additionally, state law requires all new students to North Carolina public schools provide the school with a physical on the North Carolina Health Assessment Form. Students that have not had a completed NC Health Assessment within the first 30 days will also be excluded from school.
Questions regarding vaccines and the NC Health Assessment should be directed to NBMS nurses, Tamara Briley or Kaitlyn Custy at (910)-346-5144
STEAM Club Day This WEEK!
Our first STEAM Club Day is this week on the ERPD Day. Students will remain in the same 3 clubs throughout this year. Their fist club day is Wednesday!
STEAM Club Dates:
It's time to EMBARK on a NEW Adventure!
This unifying schoolwide activity took place during the first week of school. All of our students and staff have created a personal NASA patch!
We will be sharing pictures of these over the next few weeks. Attached is the "Why" behind our activity as we launch into becoming a STEM School of Distinction!
Is Your Family up to our first STEAM Challenge?
NBMS "Quarterly" Family STEAM Challenge!
How would you like to participate in quarterly STEAM activities with your children at home? Our first NBMS Family STEAM Challenge is:
"The Chair Challenge"
Goal: Families will construct a chair using only paper and tape that can hold their stuffed animal.
- Copy paper
- One Roll of Masking Tape
- Stuffed animal (small to Medium)
*Due by the End of the Grading Period - October 31st
*Bring your families project to the media center to be displayed for all to see.
- Certificate of Participation for each quarterly submission.
- If your family participates in and submits a finished product for all 4 challenges this year, You will receive an authentic NASA Patch!
- All submissions must have the following document submitted with the project.
Good Luck on Your first Challenge!
We Still Have Afterschool Care Openings with Boys and Girls Club!
Dear NBMS Families,
Don't miss out! You are NOW invited to enroll your student in afterschool care at NBMS for the 2023-2024 school year. Please follow the link below.
Days: Monday - Friday
Hours: 2:40pm - 6:00pm.
Monthly Cost: Approximately $65. this includes a snack each day
*A variety of programs - Arts, Healthy Habits, Smart Moves, Money Matters, STEM, Boys and Girls Clubs of America programs
*Power Hour Daily - During this time, all students will work on homework, projects etc.
PTO Fundraiser Begins!
NBMS families, please remember that you need to return the Attraction Book if you're not going to sell it.
If you purchase it the price is $25.
The sale ends Monday, September 25th.
Don't Miss Out on getting your Attractions Coupon Book!
Join the NBMS PTO!
We NEED Your Help!
Sign-up to Participate, Donate or Join the PTO Here:
WAYS YOU CAN HELP:
- Become an Active Member
- Volunteer for Events
- Donate Food Items
- Financial Donations
- Decorating for sponsored PTO Events
Click here for Happenings with NBMS Student Services! You will find weekly Wednesday guidance lessons, community out reaches and SO MUCH MORE!! Don't Miss it!
Week At A Glance - Teacher Lesson Plans
Why NO Cell Phones at School
Research and Parent Resources:
- Just having your phone in your possession can impair your learning
- Cellphones in classrooms contribute to failing grades: study
- Guiding students to develop a clear understanding of their cell phone use
- Reading on a smartphone promotes overactivity in the prefrontal cortex and lowers reading comprehension, study finds
- Research shows having cell phones on your person or near you pulls student attention away from focus, decreasing cognitive function and can increase anxiety
- It distracts others when someone is looking at his/her phone
- Texting is like note passing on steroids
- Phones can be used to cheat
- Students are videoing students and teachers and posting to social media (sleeping student, teacher tangents, etc. on Tik Tok) which is a violation of OCS policy
- Recording in bathrooms/locker rooms has increased and videos are being posted, again a student handbook violation and illegal
- Allowing cell phones in schools is giving students the ability to take their attention elsewhere- they are teenagers, we set the expectations for learning and policies
NBMS additional Cell Phone Use Guidelines
**Students will be encouraged/directed to use the school phone whenever it is feasible. However, if a school phone is not nearby, NBMS students may use their cell phone to communicate with parents before and after school if they have been given permission by a NBMS staff member. The student will be requested to remain in close proximity to the staff member giving permission.
More information can be found on our school website in the student handbook located under the tab "Our School."
NBMS Sports Center
NBMS Athletic Information
HOW TO Purchase tickets for NBMS Games
Game Day Tickets may be purchased two ways:
Tickets are $5 per person. Children 5 yrs and under are free.
1. Tickets may be purchased at the gate.
2. Tickets may be purchased on-line at:
Admission to NBMS games is $5.00. Please be prepared to show your receipt at the gate by either printed copy or on an electronic device. If purchasing more than one ticket in transaction all parties must be present for accountability.
If the game is cancelled before it begins, a full refund will be processed back to the credit card used for the purchase. If the game is rescheduled to a new date, you MUST purchase a new ticket reflecting the new date.
Tickets may be purchased for:
Ticket sales are not available for Softball or Baseball as we use community fields.
Softball - Kerr Street Park
Baseball - Kerr Street Park
Middle School Athletic Eligibility requirements can be found here.
9/18 - Interim Reports
9/19 - Football Home vs Dixon
9/19 - National IT Professionals Day
9/20 - Early Release/Professional Development
9/20 - STEAM Club Day
9/21 - Softball Away @ Jax Commons
9/25 - Softball Home vs Swansboro
9/25 - 20th Day - last day to drop HS courses
9/26 - Football Home vs Trexler
9/26 - Bear Pride Day
9/27 - 7/8 NC Honors Chorus Auditions
9/28 - Immunization Deadline for 7th Grade Students-Tdap, Meningitis
10/2: Softball @ Brewster Middle
10/3: Football @ Jacksonville Common Middle
10/5: Softball vs Hunters Creek Middle
10/9: No School for Students (Teacher Workday)
10/10: Interim Reports
10/11: Football vs Swansboro Middle
10/11: Bear Pride Day
10/18: 1/2 Day for Students (Professional Development)
10/24: Football @ Brewster Middle
10/27: Dress Down Day ($5)
10/27: School Dance (Hosted by PTO, $4)
10/31: End of 1st Grading Period
10/31: Football vs Hunters Creek Middle
10/31: Bear Pride Day
10/31: Family STEAM Challenge #1 due today.
11/7: Reports Cards