September 15, 2016
Highlights from the week:
- Reading is thinking. So this week, the children have started recording their thinking during independent reading on sticky notes.
- Caesar's English lesson 3 brought 5 more stems. We are up to 15. Remember that all the prior words and stems will be on each quiz for the next few weeks. Quizlet is a fun and easy review. I will post the link to the new study set on Google Classroom each week.
- In writing, we've discussed Small Moments and the children have recorded as many as they can think of in their Writer's Notebook. They worked with a partner to brainstorm and "borrow" ideas from each other. Some children have already started sketching out their narrative idea from this process.
- In Science, the Weather unit is set up in their notebooks. We've talked about what we will be studying in this chapter and begun our discussion of the water cycle.
- In Math, factors and multiples...we are getting them straight. :-) Our first unit has us working with rectangular arrays, prime numbers, square numbers, factors, multiples and other properties of numbers. We should be ready for at least a quiz next week. I will let you know the date when that decision is made.
I know that internet connections and computers/tablets have issues from time to time. Your child is welcome to complete their ALEKS time before school (or even stay a few minutes late on select days) on a Chromebook in our pod. It only takes 2 days of working from 7:15-7:30 am to have their ALEKS homework done. The same goes for staying a few minutes later. The pod is fairly empty of children at 2:45. One day of leaving at 3:15 would allow a child time to accomplish their homework. I am willing and available to work with you. However, I will need to know in advance if they are planning to do this. Not everyday works for me. Monday and Tuesday mornings are never good, and Tuesday afternoons we have faculty meetings. Besides that, I am usually flexible enough to be there.