Trocaire College Libraries
What's in our library catalog?
Logging onto the Catalog
You do not need to login into the catalog to search, but if you want to do more than search then you will need an account.
As a Trocaire student, staff of faculty member you may create an account for the library catalog.
This will allow you to:
Build Favorite lists
Access your loan and fine history
To create an account click on "log in" in the top right hand corner and follow the directions. You will need to create an account using your Trocaire College information.
Searching the catalog
To search the catalog, click on the "keyword" box at the top toolbar. This will show a drop down menu you can search the catalog:
- Call Number
There is also an "Advance" Search to combine different aspects of the item you are looking for. This "Advance" link is on the right of the search box.
Once you have a result list, you may wish to use Refine Your Search filter (left sidebar) to limit to:
Type of Material
Click on the "+" symbol to see more under each limiter. Then select the boxes next to each element that you want and then click on the refresh button.
Records in the catalog
Now let's take a look at how the item record looks in the catalog.
Items are organized by their subjects using the Library of Congress classification system.
If you have problems finding an item, please feel free to ask us for assistance.
- All items are located in the Choate library except those with Transit at the beginning of the call number.
- If RES is at the beginning of the call number, it means it is a Course Reserve item (usually a textbook) and can only be used in the Library.
- Items that are not books, such as DVDs, will be noted at the beginning of the call number.
- To find out if an items is available, click on the title of the item. Look at the status- it will indicate "IN" or "OUT". If the item is checked out it will show a due date. While you can tell when an item is due, we cannot guarantee people will return their materials on time. We also cannot tell you who has materials checked out due to privacy laws.
- Summary tab will show a summary of the item.
- Shelf List button shows the item as it appears on the shelf with other items.
- Add to Favorite button is used when you want to keep a folder with all of the items that you searched for and want to save.
Your Trocaire ID is your library card. You have to use your ID to borrow books, DVDs and use Reserve materials, such as textbooks and DVDs.
The only accepted substitute is a photocopy of the front and back of the ID.
We do not accept other IDs, such as a driver's license or passport, in place of your Trocaire ID.
Materials must be returned in the same condition they were borrowed and on time.
- Books may be borrowed for 28 days.
- Printed magazines and journals may be borrowed for 7 days.
- DVDs may be borrowed for 7 days.
There are ways to get a copy of a book that is not in our collection into your hands.
You can send us an Interlibrary Loan request.
You will be taken to the ILL Book Request form:
- Give us some quick contact information
- Enter as much information as possible about the book
- Press Submit
We will check the collections of our Interlibrary Loan network to see if they have the book.
- Books are shipped via US mail
- It can take 5-14 for books available through Interlibrary Loan
- Book can be picked up or returned to the library on Choate
- There is no charge for using Interlibrary Loan
AcademicSHARE allows you to go to another local academic library and borrow the book directly from that library.
- You must use your Trocaire College ID to borrow materials from that library; no other forms of ID are accepted as a substitute.
- You borrow and return the books directly to the participating library.
- You must follow the borrowing rules of the participating library when using their materials.
- There is no charge for using AcademicSHARE.
- You may want to contact the library to see if the book is available before driving to the campus.
- Please see a librarian for any questions.