Trocaire College Libraries
Where do I find...
This guide will show you how to use our library catalog to find materials for your assignments.
If you have an assignment that requires journal articles, it is better to use our library databases.
What's in our library catalog?
Searching the catalog
To search, click on Smart Search box at the drop down menu you can search the catalog:
- Title of the book
- Subject - for books on a specific topic
To do a keyword search, simply type in your keyword or keywords in the search box.
Records in the catalog
Now let's take a look at how the item record looks in the catalog.
Items are organized by their subjects using the Library of Congress classification system.
If you have problems finding an item, please feel free to ask us for assistance.
- All items are located in the Choate library except those with Transit at the beginning of the call number.
- If Ref or Res is at the beginning of the call number, it means it is a Reference or a Reserve item and can only be used in the Library.
- Items that are not books, such as DVDs, will be noted at the beginning of the call number.
- To find out if an items is available, click on the arrow in the record. Then click on "copies". If it is on the shelf it will be listed as "available. If checked out, the due date is listed. While you can tell when an item is due, we cannot guarantee people will return their materials on time. We also cannot tell you who has materials checked out due to privacy laws.
- When you click on the arrow you can also see subject headings of the item, a short description if available and the link to the online version if there is one.
- Any Subjects the item covers are also linked so that you can search for related materials in the catalog.
Your Trocaire ID is your library card. You have to use your ID to borrow books, DVDs and use Reserve materials, such as textbooks and DVDs.
The only accepted substitute is a photocopy of the front and back of the ID.
We do not accept other IDs, such as a driver's license or passport, in place of your Trocaire ID.
Materials must be returned in the same condition they were borrowed and on time.
- Books may be borrowed for 28 days.
- Printed magazines and journals may be borrowed for 7 days.
- DVDs may be borrowed for 7 days.
Reserves and Reference materials may only be used in the Library. Failure to do will result in penalties ranging from increased fines to loss of library privileges to blocked access to student accounts, such as registering for classes and obtaining transcripts.
All library policies can be found on our website.
There are ways to get a copy of a book that is not in our collection into your hands.
You can send us an Interlibrary Loan request.
You will be taken to the ILL Book Request form:
- Give us some quick contact information
- Enter as much information as possible about the book
- Press Submit
We will check the collections of the University at Buffalo (UB) to see if they have the book. If not, we will ask them to borrow it from another library on our behalf.
- Books are shipped via US mail
- It can take 5-14 for books available from UB
- It can take 3-6 weeks for books beyond UB's collections
- Book can be picked up or returned to the library on Choate
- There is no charge for using Interlibrary Loan
AcademicSHARE allows you to go to another local academic library and borrow the book directly from that library.
- You must use your Trocaire College ID to borrow materials from that library; no other forms of ID are accepted as a substitute.
- You borrow and return the books directly to the participating library.
- You must follow the borrowing rules of the participating library when using their materials.
- There is no charge for using AcademicSHARE.
- You may want to contact the library to see if the book is available before driving to the campus.
- Please see a librarian for any questions.