LS-H Middle/High School Newsletter
November 9, 2020
LS-H Middle/High School Conferences
Quarter 1 of the 2020-2021 school year has come to an end and Fall conferences are coming up soon. This year, our teachers will be calling the family of every student at LS-H Middle/High School during the teacher communication times listed below. All of our teachers will be available to meet with parents and students at the open virtual meeting times listed below. Virtual meeting links will be published on the LS-H Middle/High School website on the morning of November 12th. Thank you for your patience as you wait to be admitted to each teacher's virtual meeting.
Teacher Communication Time: 4:00-6:00 PM
Open Virtual Meeting Time: 6:00-7:30 PM
Teacher Communication Time: 4:00-5:30 PM
Open Virtual Meeting Time: 5:30-7:30 PM
We look forward to connecting with you to discuss your child(ren)'s progress!
MS/HS Parent Advisory Committee Meeting
This year, we will be establishing a parent advisory committee (PAC) at LS-H Middle/High School. Meetings will be scheduled monthly and parents are encouraged to attend. We look forward to working with you to address issues that impact our students and school on a daily basis. Please consider joining us on November 23rd at 6:30 PM using the following virtual meeting link:
Middle School NWEA Testing
Veteran's Day 2020
Middle School WIN Classes
This year, an important component of our 6-8th grade students' day is their "What I Need" (WIN) class. All 6-8th grade students have WIN to provide personalized instruction based on each of our student's academic needs. During distance learning, our expectations for WIN are as follows:
- Students will attend a virtual meeting for WIN on Monday-Thursday each week.
- Students will engage in 20 minutes of assigned WIN learning activities daily.
- Students will be assigned a a Pass/Fail grade for WIN classes based on their engagement in assigned WIN learning activities.
- Ms. O'Neill and Ms. Baston will contact 6-8th grade students and parents with reminders to complete assigned WIN learning activities as needed each week.
Middle School Electives
Giant Tips for Success in Distance Learning
Tips for Students:
- Students should enter their Virtual Attendance in Infinite Campus by 10:00 AM each day.
- Check "At A Glance" documents at the beginning of each week.
- Attend all required virtual meetings.
- Complete assignments on time.
- Communicate with classroom teachers with questions or support. Being a positive self-advocate is a Giant Key to Success!
- Attend Advisory class at 9:30 AM on Fridays. Advisory classes will only meet on Friday mornings. (Reminder: Advisory will meet at 9:30 AM on Wednesday, Nov. 11th.)
Tips for Parents:
- Contact our attendance secretary, Ms. Mediger, (507-665-5801) if your child is ill or must be absent from school.
- Review your child's grades and missing assignments in the Parent Portal on a regular basis.
- Continue to report positive cases of COVID-19, close contacts, and symptoms during Distance Learning. These can be communicated by calling our school office (507-665-5800), calling our District Nurse, Molly Thelemann (507-602-0308), or by emailing Ms. Thelemann at email@example.com.
- Meals will be available throughout Distance Learning. Please contact Justin Craig, Food Service Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about food service.
Distance Learning Reminders:
- Students are expected to complete assigned work from teachers during the times labeled as "Office Hours/Asynchronous Learning" on our Distance Learning Schedules.
- All LS-H Middle/High School teachers will have an open virtual meeting during all office hour/asynchronous learning times.
- Teachers may require students to meet with them during office hours/asynchronous learning times.
- We encourage students to meet with their teachers during office hours/asynchronous learning times to ask questions and receive support or extensions.
Daily Schedules for Distance Learning
Infinite Campus Parent/Student Portal
Please refer to the following document to assist with logging into and updating information on Campus Portal. The "forgot username" and "forgot password" features on our district's Campus Portal can also be used if you are having difficulty logging in. Further support can be found by contacting the LS-H Middle/High School Office at (507) 665-5800 or by sending an email to email@example.com.
Past Newsletters from LS-H Middle/High School
Middle/High School Contact Information
Brian Thorstad, Principal (507) 665-5803
Jeff Christ, Dean of Students/Activities Director (507) 665-5804
Pam Mediger, Attendance Secretary (507) 665-5801
Christy Smykalski, Activities/Counseling Secretary (507) 665-5805