Dangers of Airbag Cons
By Evelyn & Mati
Feds take air out of dangerous airbag cons
- Dai Zhensong created cheap, knock off air bags and sent them to the United States to have them installed in vehicles. These airbag cons were very dangerous because they would not inflate in the case of an accident.
- Crooked bodyshop owners, such as Igor Borodin, would buy these cheap airbags and install these cheap airbags and charge insurers $1,000 or more for replacement versions. Not only were they installing faulty airbags, but they were committing insurance fraud.
- Dai Zhensong and Igor Borodin were eventually caught and put in prison. Zhensong recieved 37 months in prison and Borodin could spend the next 10 years in prison.
- Unfortunately, although they have been arrested, it is estimated that over 250,000 cars throughout the United States have these fake airbags.
- If your airbags have been replaced at a dealership that isn't a new car dealership within the past 3 years, you may be at risk. Your car may also have a fake airbag if you bought a used car who's airbag has been deployed before.