By Maggie Swett
How Does It Affect Your Body?
- Upper abdominal pain that may strike in your back
- Yellowing of your skin and the whites of your eyes
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Blood clots
- More men are diagnosed than women. Research shows that it might be linked with higher smoking in men.
- Doctors use many different types of test called metastasis.
Physical: Doctors will examine the skin and the eyes to see if they are yellow which is caused by jaundice. Jaundice is a tumor that blocks the pancreas from working properly.
Blood: They will also take blood testing to check for bilirubin. Bilirubin is a high level chemical in your body due to blockage.
Pet Scan: A PET scan is a way to take pictures of your organs. Sugar is injected into the body and if you have cancer the cancer cells will take away the energy that the sugar is supposed to supply you. While this is happening the PET scan is watching and taking pictures.
- The one year survival rate is 20%
- The five year survival rate is 6%
- Only 20% of the victims tumors are confirmed before they are in its advanced stages.
- Most people are diagnosed over age sixty