Peek at the Week
Mrs. Bennett's News, Week 22, February 5-9, 2018
A Note From the Teacher
It is hard to believe February is already here! The groundhog saw his shadow so that means six more weeks of winter. The kids were not happy! Today we learned more about Washington and Lincoln and will learn about U.S. symbols next week. Most guided reading groups are almost done with their books and will begin new ones next week. We will continue learning about addition strategies next week. Please help your child learn doubles facts using flash cards. We go up to sums of 20. We will also be publishing our writing! In reader's workshop, we will use fiction and nonfiction to gather information. Since I have taught the class how to research, that is all they want to do. It is very exciting for them to learn new things that interest them, therefore, we research every chance we get! If there is a topic that your child is particularly interested in, you may assist them in researching this topic and creating short presentation to teach the class. This is totally optional.
Enjoy your weekend!
*Thu. 2/1: PTO Meeting 12:00 PM
*Fri. 2/2: 50 Men Who Can Cook
*Thu.2/13: Spring Picture Day
*Wed.2/14: $1 Dress Up - Wear Red, Valentine Parties
*Thu. 2/15: Parents Matter @ Pebble Creek, 6:30-8:00 "Join us for a night of learning that will leave you with many tools to help your child at home!"
*Fri. 2/16: Chinese New Year Celebration (9-10:15 AM)
*Mon. 2/19: Student Holiday
*Sat. 3/3 Carnival
*Carnival Teacher Auction - 1st grade teachers will take one student from each class to Painting with a Twist on March 6, 2018 from 5:30-7pm!!!
- Basketball Challenge - bring spare change
- Feb 26 Texas Roadhouse Spirit Night
- March 29 MAD TACO!!!! Spirit Night
- Box Tops Due Feb 14
- Need Yearbook pictures!
1. Use an old shoe box or Kleenex box and decorate it to collect Valentine's in class. Make sure the opening is large enough for pencils, candies, and goodies to fit. Use items from around the house and let your child be creative. You can cover the box in paper and add stickers or turn the box into a boat, animal, mailbox, etc. Let me know if you need to borrow anything as I have various craft items here. Please turn this in on or before Tuesday, February 13, 2018.
2. Bring a Valentine card for each student. Please have your child start early enough to be able to write each child's name themselves. This is great practice. We have 20 students. There are 7 boys and 13 girls. These also need to be turned in by the 13th.
3. I will update you with more details about the party but it is usually very low key with ice cream sundaes and opening Valentines. This will be on the 14th. More info. TBA.
Please see the new spelling list in your child's homework folder.
OPTIONAL Challenge Words (Test on Friday, February 16, 2018)