Quest 9 Component 1B/Student survey
Questions, Understanding, & Explore
- In this quest, you will learn about Danielson component 1B and using Google forms to create a student survey.
- You will read about the Danielson component 1B (understanding what it is, why it is important, what the elements are embedded within the component, and ways you can show it in your digital portfolio).
- You will also learn how you can use google forms to create a student survey.
- The first explore part of this quest you will complete a write up for Component 1B in your digital portfolio. To document your learning, you will take a screenshot of your write up in your digital portfolio and upload it to My GCC.
- The second explore part of the quest is to watch the tutorial video about how to create a google form. In class, we will be designing a google form for our virtual cooperating teacher.
- Contact your virtual cooperating teacher about what topic you can create a google form for their class about. It can be a student interest survey, parent survey, school survey, etc.
- This Quest should take you about two hours to complete.
The guiding questions for this quest include:
- What is component 1B?
- Why is it important?
- What are the elements associated with component 1B?
- What are the artifacts you can create to demonstrate competency in component 1B in your digital portfolio?
- What is a Google form?
Understanding Component 1B - Getting to know our students
What is component 1B?
- Having a firm grasp on your content area and pedagogy is not enough. You do not teach in a vacuum, you must also know your students.
- As a future educator, knowing your students is a must. For instance, you need to understand their strengths, areas of need or improvement, culture, interests, language ability, special need, preferred mode(s) of learning, and individual development (including emotional, physical, & mental development) .
- Understanding our content area and related pedagogies are not enough, we must also know our students. This component is all about how to get to know the students we teach.
Why do we need to know about Component 1B?
- Teach students, therefor we must get to know them.
- As teachers, must understand the cognitive skills, needs, and strengths of our students in our to teach them successfully.
Must know how to engage our students in content.
Need to know the developmental abilities of our students. Including but not limited to: cognitive, social, physical, & emotional needs.
Have students who are involved in different organizations outside of school, and we must know their interests and talents.
May have a student who has a special need or a language need (ELL).
What are the elements within component 1B?
Knowledge of child and adolescent development
- Research shows that students have the ability to learn based on their developmental abilities.
- Developmental stages include: intellectual, emotional, social, and physical.
- We must understand our students' developmental stages in order to plan and engage students in learning that is appropriate.
Knowledge of the learning process
- We must understand the learning process as it relates to our students. For instance, we need to know that students learn based upon their individual learning styles, strengths, talents, interests, language ability, and culture. We can collect information about our students, through a student interest survey which will create later in this lesson using Google forms.
Knowledge of students' skills, knowledge, & language proficiency
- A students' ability to learn is greatly influenced by their skills, knowledge, and language ability.
Knowledge of students' interests and cultural heritage
- We must be able to use our students' interests in our classrooms
- It is critical to display knowledge of our students' cultural heritage.
Knowledge of students' special needs
- We must also be able to adapt and differentiate lessons for our students.
We must understand our students' special needs.
- Open your component 1B page in your digital portfolio
- Upload a screenshot of your digital portfolio component 1B with write up to My GCC.
- Be sure to publish your website!
- Complete a write up on your component 1B page that describes in your words and citing Danielson to the following questions:
- What is component 1B?
- Why do you need it?
- What are the elements?
- What are some artifacts you can use to show competency with component 1B?
- Try to be original here don't just write down my ideas. Include materials that you may have from other classes.
Understanding - Google forms
Google forms ed tech teacher tutorial
- Watch this video to see how easy it is to create a google form.
- Please do not create a form just yet - just watch the tutorial to understand the features of google forms.
- Come to class ready to discuss the use of google forms in the clsasroom
Please read through this Edutopia article about ways teachers can use Google Forms in their classrooms.
Explore - Google forms
- Contact your virtual co-op.
- CC Dr. Fecich on the email
- Ask him/her what topic s/he would like you to create a google form about.
- Examples include student interest survey, parent survey, technology use survey for students, reading interest survey, etc.