West Genesee District e-Newsletter
October 23, 2020
USDA Free Meal Program Extended Again!
On October 16, 2020 the NYS Education Department shared that the USDA is extending the free meal program for all students now through June 30, 2021.The New York State Education Department (SED) has elected the use of the Nationwide waiver flexibilities provided by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to allow free meals to continue to be available to all children throughout the entire 2020-2021 school year.
Are you Receiving All of our Communications? Helpful Tips about the SchoolMessenger Communication System:
- To be sure that you are receiving all emails sent from the District/schools/teachers please periodically check your spam/junk/promotions folder for emails with @westgenesee.org, then mark that they are not spam/junk/promotions.
- To be sure that you are receiving text messages this year from WGCSD or your school(s) Text a "Y" or "Yes" to 67587
If you still have questions about receiving emails and/or text from WGCSD please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
District Reopening Information: New Items Added (FAQ/Transportation/Food Service/Technology)
After receiving the New York State Department of Health and New York State Education Department’s guidance document earlier this month, the West Genesee Central School District started working to adopt the model and create our own Reopening Plan.
West Genesee formed a COVID-19 Task Force early this year which has been exploring options for the safe reopening of our schools. The District has also been working with a regional group of school districts through OCM BOCES to share information and best practices. Based on the committee’s recommendations and the regional group’s work, in accordance with the new state guidelines, West Genesee submitted an initial plan to New York State by the July 31 deadline.
Below is additional information concerning the reopening of schools.
- Letter to CMS Parents: Staff Quarantine (October 22, 2020)
- Letter from Supt. Bills: WGHS Positive Case (October 21, 2020)
- Letter from Supt. Bills: Transportation Dept. (October 20, 2020)
- Letter from Supt. Bills: Student Tests Positive (October 20, 2020)
- Letter to Split Rock Parents (October 12, 2020)
- West Genesee Student Days During In-Person / Hybrid Learning
- 2020-21 School Year: What’s New and Different?
Click here for more information including links to videos of all Talks with the Superintendent and Panels, guidelines for reopening, and other important resources.
Job Openings in the District
The West Genesee School District is looking for Substitute Bus Drivers, Substitute Bus Attendants, and Substitute School Nurses (both RN's and LPN's). Please refer to westgenesee.org for non-instructional applications and mail or email completed applications to:
Mr. David Cirillo, Director of Staff Relations, West Genesee Central School District, 300 Sanderson Drive, Camillus, NY 13031 or email@example.com.
Check out the Latest News from these WGCSD Leadership Blogs
- Notes from the Superintendent
- Notes from Executive Principal Ackles
- Notes from the CMS Principal
- Notes from Principal Dunham (WGMS)
- Notes from Principal Craig (East Hill)
- Notes from Principal Clark (Onondaga Road)
- Notes from the Split Rock Principal
- Notes from Principal Simmons (Stonehedge Blue)
- Notes from Principal Suddaby (Stonehedge Gold)
- Notes from the Director of Special Education
- Notes from Team Remote
- Notes from the WG Nurses
- Notes from Fine Arts
West Genesee Continues the Facilities Study
The District’s Strategic Planning Team continues working with our consultants to review many facets of the District’s operations. The purpose of the study is to evaluate this essential question:
“How can the District maintain and enhance the educational opportunities for West Genesee students in its tradition of excellence while continuing to ensure efficient and effective utilization of staff and facilities as well as fiscal responsibility for the District’s taxpayers?”
The team has been meeting monthly and the meetings are open to the public. There is an opportunity for the public to ask questions at the end of each meeting.
- October 26, 2020 West Genesee Facilities Study - 6:00 p.m. High School LGI Room
- November 4, 2020 Board of Education Policies and Bylaws Committee Meeting - 6:00 p.m. - High School Library Classroom
- November 4, 2020 Board of Education Meeting - 7:00 p.m. - High School Library
- November 11, 2020 No School - Veteran's Day