The Wonder of Cells
By Tara Pierre
What Is a Cell?
You will soon know the wonders of cells, and the way that they work in their different functions. Enjoy the ride!
1. Nuclear Envelope- which encloses the contents of the nucleus during a cell's life-cycle.
2. Nuclear Pore- allows the transport of molecules across the nuclear envelope.
3. Nucleolus- makes ribosomal subunits from proteins and ribosomal RNA, then sends the subunits out to the rest of the cell where they combine into complete ribosomes.
4. Chromosomes- made of protein and a single molecule of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). Passed from parents to offspring, DNA contains the specific instructions that make each type of living creature unique.
5. Chromatin- substance of a cell nucleus, consisting of DNA, RNA, and various proteins, that forms chromosomes during cell division.
6. Endoplasmic Reticulum- While the function of the nucleus is to act as the cell brain, the ER functions as a manufacturing system.