Important Update on St. Paul District Operations
June 21, 2021
Dear St. Paul Community,
As we enter into the last few weeks of school here in St Paul we are monitoring closely the changes in Oregon Health Authority guidance related to covid. In particular mask requirements and other requirements related to social distancing and indoor and outdoor attendance at events. We are also in communication with the Marion County health authority with respect to the protective measures we are requiring in our schools. We currently have a number of students who attend both the elementary and middle/high schools that are in quarantine as a result of possible exposure. After careful consideration of the current situation in our schools, we are maintaining mask wearing requirements in our schools in compliance with the Ready Schools Safe Learners Guidance provided by the department of education. We are still working through the OSAA guidance related to sporting events and outdoor activities and will continue to communicate district requirements regarding these events as soon as they become available.
Mr. Schrader will host a senior parent zoom meeting on Tuesday, May 25th at 7:00 pm and will provide guidance regarding graduation ceremonies.
A reminder of the steps being taken to ensure everyone’s safety:
● Students who ride the bus will have their temperature taken when entering the school bus and will be asked if they are feeling well and if anyone in their family has been sick. There will also be a visual screening for wellness. If a student's response to a question raises concerns related to the possible presence of COVID the student will not be allowed on the bus if the parents are home. If parents are not home, the student will be socially distanced on the bus. They will be isolated in a safe place upon their arrival to school until we are able to contact parents for pick up. Additional follow up from the district will occur in order to determine if the student can safely return to school. Our buses will have some windows open to increase the circulation of air while transporting students, this practice will be followed regardless of weather. Please dress students warmly in cool weather for their bus ride.
● Students who walk, ride, or are driven to school will be screened at the time of entry using the same protocol.
● While in school, students will be required to social distance (stay three feet apart in classrooms and six feet apart in other settings) whenever possible.
● Masks will be required at all times.
● Students will be asked to wash hands or use hand sanitizer frequently and whenever they enter or exit a classroom or the building.
● Students who participate in school lunch will take a sack lunch home with them. Our cafeteria will remain closed.
● The shortened school day will allow our district staff to sanitize rooms and occupied areas each day.
● Bathroom access will be closely monitored and no more than two students will be allowed in the restroom at one time.
Thanks to each and every one of you for your continued support and adherence to all of the required safety measures in order to keep our students, staff, and community safe. I am very proud of all of our students who continue to adhere to district safety requirements and appreciate our parent's efforts to remind students of the importance of these guidelines.
Joseph M. Wehrli
St. Paul School District